Best Thing I Never Had

14th June 2019

"That's why I wrote this song for her.

Life is fleeting, all mixed and blurred,"

I was irritated. There was nothing more I could tell you. My friends and Evie were at a concert and I was enduring a dinner with Alexa's friends.

"Chamonix is the best ski resort without question."

"Then you've never been to Zermatt."

The men were gathered at one end of the table and the women at the other. Which meant whilst I was saved from snide gossip, I was not saved from what Jaxon had conned 'big dick talk'. All the men cared about was one upping each other.

Of course the women did it too, but they had perfected the art of subtly. These men had clearly not.

If they drew attention to their pricey watches or expensive glasses once more, I was going to run from the restaurant screaming.

Why was it a thing to wear glasses inside, anyway?

The only consolation prize was that I was far below their radar to be included in the conversation. I wasn't sure whether it was my ripped skinny jeans or unstyled hair that spoke to my financial situations. Or maybe wealthy people had an innate sense of seeking each other out, but either way I was grateful to be excluded.

I didn't know the best ski resort to attend or which car was the must have toy of the month. I didn't know and, in fact, didn't particularly care.

Perhaps sensing that I was withdrawing into my cocoon, Alexa leaned forward and laughed at something one man had said, somehow drawing herself into conversation immediately.

"Samuel, Brad just bought a new guitar, you would love it." Alexa faked a gush.

"It's a Fender Telecaster," he boasted.

I sighed in relief. I had no idea which of the rich idiotas was Brad. At least now I knew who to direct the conversation to. Alexa hated when I couldn't remember her friend's names. But who really had time to memorize the names of over twenty people who would change in a month's time.

"Wow, that's a solid guitar, man. Is the finger-board maple or rosewood?" Finally, a conversation that I could join in.

Brad just looked at me in confusion. "It's an electric guitar," he said slowly.

I wasn't sure if he was joking, but something told me he really had no clue what he'd bought. It took a lot to avoid gritting my teeth in annoyance.

The Fender Telecaster was one of the world's greatest electric guitars with a hefty price attached to it. I would have loved to have one, and this idiot didn't even realise just how good it was.

"The fingerboard is the top part of the neck on your guitar," I explained.

He waved his tumbler of whiskey round dismissively. "Does it really matter?"

I went to retort, but Alexa stepped on my foot and glared at me.

"You said Jimi Hendrix had one, didn't you Brad?" Alexa turned her head to Brad - who I was beginning to call King Big Dick in my head - and smiled.

"I only get the best, Lexy." And he winked at her, making her giggle.

I looked between them, feeling uncomfortable.

Was something going on between those two?

I was pretty sure I'd never met Brad before, never heard Alexa mention him either, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was up.