One For The Radio

6th August 2021

The entire orchestra was gathered in the largest practice room. Tables laid down with food had replaced instruments. So far, only a few people had tried some. The rest of us were too nervous to eat - no matter how delicious the food looked.

The film had premiered exactly a week ago and was a box office hit. It had come out on top of the cinemas' "to watch lists" and was already grossing big numbers in the US, Europe and Australia.

And now we were gathered, listening to KIIS FM to count down the top 40 to see if one of our singles had made it into the top ten. So far we had one at number 14 and one at number 9, but we were still waiting for the big one. The one that I had struggled with the most.

If there was an anthem to the film, then it was that song.

Tony was buzzing, but as the songs had ticked by, he'd grown quiet. We all had.

"And that was Olivia Rodrigo at number three with Good 4 U, down one from last week."

"Now we're on to the big boys Jojo. So who's going to take the number one?"

"Will BTS keep their number one spot another week or have we got a new king or queen of the charts? Find out after we catch up with Tommy on the news."

My groan was echoed around the room as everyone leaned back. They seemed to be really drawing out the top 40 this week. Or maybe that was just how it seemed to me.

Shaking the nerves from his body, Tony stood, his usual suits replaced with a pair of jeans and buttoned down shirt - his attempt at a casual Friday.

"I just want to say how proud I am of everything we've been able to accomplish regardless of where we place in the top 40. You've all worked so hard to make this a success and no one can take that away from us. So give yourself a round of applause."

A few chuckles went up as we all clapped. Jaxon pushed on my shoulder and stood.

"Now let's not forget our valiant leader who has worked his butt off to convince the number of producers and executives to give us a chance. To Tony." Jaxon raised his glass, the rest of us joining, to toast a suddenly awkward looking Tony.

"Didn't know you could blush that colour, Tony." One woman shouted, followed by a number of cat calls which Tony brushed off.

"And now it's that time you've all waited for. This week's number two spot is..."

"Shush, they're going to announce it," Jaxon screeched, reaching over to turn up the speaker.

The room fell silent, all of us crossing our fingers.

"It's BTS."

"Oh well, better luck next week boys."

"So, coming up after BTS is our new number one. Stay tuned listeners."

"This is agony," Jaxon claimed, taking a sip from his drink but then realising he'd already finished it. "Who knew the top 40 went on this long."

Tori shook his head. "Everyone."

Jaxon huffed but didn't say anything whilst we all waited for BTS's song to end. It was the longest three minutes of our lives.

"And that leaves only one left. And I think we all know who it's going to be, right Andy?"

"Got to be, Jojo. Let's put them out of their misery."

"About bloody time," Jaxon whispered to himself, loud enough to make me chuckle.