CHP 4: This Book Is My Only Friend?

The brightness of the fireworks pained my eyes, and the loud booming sounds cut through my ears. Ugh, this unpleasant feeling spreading in my body, I can't take it. I didn't know if it was the fear of messing up the prologue, fear of getting the bad ending, or if it was the agony of something else, but what I did know was that, if I stayed here a minute longer, I would pass out.

"(Y/N) darling, are you alright? " I felt a light hand land on my shoulders. It was the duchess, "Mother, I feel unwell, " I say in a low voice, tightly grabbing her hand that was resting on my shoulder. "Oh dear, do one thing, go outside and wait inside the carriage. I'll get your father in the meantime, " I give a slight nod and do as she says.

Once I get inside the carriage, I feel the energy leave my body. I wonder if I became overconfident, I thought everything was at the back of my hand, but I was proven wrong. "(Y/N) what happened? " the duke asked with concern filled eyes as he sat opposite to me while the duchess gently took my hand in hers. "I felt dizzy... sorry I ruined the ball, " all I can do is apologize, I guess, "Nonsense. You are our priority, as for the ball, it will come again next year, " duke states, and the duchess nods in agreement. Now, I'm definitely gonna cry, they are so kind.

After reaching the mansion, I bid goodnight to my parents and retire for the day. I enter my room, ready to flop on my bed, when I notice a book on top of it. I grab and look at it intently, "Black cover with golden border, could it be? " in the otome, all the progress I made would be stored, and to view it, I had to click the book icon on the bottom left corner. "My diary! " Of course! You can access the diary after the prologue! I didn't think they'd give me this feature, I open it to see words filled in it.

1/1/1888

(HELL MODE)

WELCOME PLAYER,

PLEASE READ THE GUIDE TO HELL MODE

✡︎ The story has been altered according to the player.

✡︎ Chances of getting a bad end have increased by 40%.

✡︎ The choice system is updated, choices are now infinite.

✡︎ To complete the hell mode you must get a happy ending of any ONE Love Interest.

✡︎ Each day's progress will be available the next morning.

✡︎ The main story will end on 30/1/1888.

✡︎ If the player gets a bad end, the game can NOT be restarted.

✡︎ The player can NOT leave the game world without completing the story.

BEST OF LUCK

Page 1

I complete reading the page, and my eyes go up again on the first point. "The story has been altered according to the player... " does that mean? I think for some time, trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. "Ah, it makes sense now, " there is no Lavender Wright in the hell mode, its the player. That's why no one reacted oddly when I said my real name instead of Lavender's, and my face and body are still the same. That explains why the prologue was different, but if the prologue was affected because of me, then the main story will also... My whole knowledge of the plot has gone to waste now.

I rub my head. It's time to make a new game plan, I guess. If it were just to survive till the end, I'd not interact with the LI's at all, but I need to get a happy ending to go back. I have no choice left but to go with the flow, "And you will be there to help me right, " I gently stroke the cover of my book. I'm insane talking to a book, but it's my only friend right now. I sigh and keep my book on the side table. "I can beat this, I just need to try hard, " I motivate myself and prepare to sleep.

Chp 4 End