CHP 14: Guided By Desire

Ash helps me get on the carriage and then sits opposite to me. The carriage departs at a slow pace, but once out of the estate, picks up speed. I divert my gaze from the window to look at Ash, who stares at me without any hint of shame. It's fine as long he doesn't murders me....I guess. "Is white your favorite color? " he breaks the silence with the 'I totally predicted that' question, "Not my favorite, but one of my favorites, " I reply. I think it's best to stay in between rather than choosing yes or no, after all, this game might use any of my statements against me in the future.

"I can see why. You would look pretty in any color, " Ash suddenly compliments me, making my cheeks go light pink. "You are flattering me, " I say, smiling sheepishly. "I was just speaking the truth, though I believe that white suits you better than any other color, " his amethyst eyes roam from the top to bottom of my dress, analyzing it thoroughly. "Pure, " he whispers something, but I'm unable to hear it so, I decided to ignore it and look out the window.

A few minutes pass by when I notice something. Instead of seeing people, houses, and a lively market, the only thing I saw were numerous identical trees. "Ash, something seems wrong. I think we are going towards the woods, " I tell him, concerned, but all he does is smile at me, " I assume the coachman must be taking a different path, " his relaxed tone made me more anxious. There shouldn't be any difficulties since Ash is with me, but what if he....No, no, no, stop thinking nonsense. I try to calm my brain, but the question still lingers that what if Ash is behind this?

With each distance the carriage covers, my heart starts thumping harder. I don't remember Ash's bad end taking place in the woods, but then again, the whole otome has been altered so, assuming the endings would remain the same is foolishness. My diary didn't show his affinity bar decreasing nor the hatred bar increasing, meaning I'm safe, right? But is it safe to trust my diary blindly? In the end, it is also a feature of the game.

As these thoughts run through my head, the carriage abruptly comes to a halt. I look at Ash, who nonchalantly gets off and stretches out his hand for me to get down. I take his hand, unsure of what's about to come. I get down and find us at an isolated path with endless woods on both sides. "Ash, where are we? " I question him, "Don't worry, just follow me, " he says, pointing towards the woods. Don't worry my foot! Does this guy even know how freaking scared I am!? I can't run away because I don't even know where I am, and it doesn't matter where I go, he'll catch me eventually. Biting my lip, I nod at Ash. He takes my hand, and we both start treading inside the forest.

We walk for a decent amount of time when my patience gives up. I can't do this anymore. "As-" before I could call his name, he exclaims in joy, "We are here! " he pulls me in front of him, and my mouth drops at what I see. Before me, laid a beautiful meadow filled with various colored flowers, the air that flowed was soothing, in one word, it was outstanding. "I'm speechless...it's lovely! " Even though I don't get how we reached from a dense forest to a beautiful meadow, I have no complaints.

"I'm glad you liked it, and I apologize for my dubious behavior earlier. You must have been scared, " he says apologetically. "Whatever you did was worth it, so you are forgiven! " I say and run towards the field. Oh god, thank you for keeping me alive! I lie down on the grass, feeling it brush against my skin gently as I look up at the clear blue sky. Shortly Ash catches up to me and sits beside where I was lying. "It is my favorite place to get fresh air and think. I come here frequently, " he says, looking up at the sky. "I can see why, but you have to travel a decent amount to get here, " I mean, my legs are hurting from all the walking we did.

"Oh, well, it doesn't take me much time to commute...I hope you aren't mad since I brought you here instead of the fair, " he replies with a gentle smile. "Mhm, not at all, but why the sudden change in plans? " I ask, looking at him. His amethyst eyes meet mine, and he replies in a low voice, "I cannot give you a rational explanation. All I can say is when I saw you today, It reminded me of this place. Serene, beautiful, calming, and I couldn't restrain my urge to bring you here, " he finished speaking and there was a pin drop silence. We stared at each other for a long time.

"Thank you, it means a lot to me, " I break the silence, and he gives me a warm smile at my words. "It means a lot to me too, " he replies and lies down beside me. We spend the day gazing at the sky and chatting to our heart's content.

Chp 14 End