CHP 9: New Day, New Problems

The next morning, I wake up with a splitting headache. I can't figure out if yesterday was good or bad. Groggily, I reach for my diary lying on the side table and open it.

3/1/1888
(HELL MODE)

WELCOME PLAYER,
DAY 2 REPORT IS NOW AVAILABLE

✡︎ Your unexpected visit took Sebastian by surprise, he will remember it.

✡︎ You did not defend Grell, his affinity has decreased by 4%

✡︎ Ciel enjoyed your company, his affinity has increased by 12%

✡︎ You mentioned Grell in your conversation with Sebastian, his jealousy has increased by 2%

✡︎ You apologized to Sebastian, his affinity has increased by 2%

✡︎ You quarreled with Grell, his wrath has increased by 6%

⚠︎ WARNING: Decrease in affinity level increases the chances of getting a bad end.

⚠︎ WARNING: Falling in love with an NPC will result in an automatic bad end.

REPORT END

PAGE 4

As I finish reading the diary, my headache worsens. "What nonsense is this!? " everything is wrong! How could this even? Ugh! A decrease in the affinity of LI's is not possible! It can either increase or remain constant, and how could Ciel have an affinity bar? He's an NPC! MC can't have feelings for him in the first place! Of course, not to mention this new jealousy and wrath bar. The game doesn't have any other bars except the affinity, and hatred bar. Am I missing something here? Did I forget the game mechanics? No, I frigging played this damn otome for a year, like hell I'll forget anything.

"Though, I think it's time to recollect all the ways you can get a bad ending rather than getting worked up, " I close my eyes and think carefully. There are only four ways. First, if the player favors a specific LI more than the others. Doing so will result in the remaining LI's killing the LI that MC favored during the game, and the player will get Bad End 1: Partiality won't get you anywhere.

Second, if the MC keeps the affinity level of all the LI's equal but fails to raise a specific LI's affinity level more than the others. This will lead to all the LI's battling for MC's affection, and eventually, all of them will die, and the player will get Bad End 2: Went for all, Got none.

Third, well, it's an obvious one. If the hatred bar of a LI reaches its max. In this case, the LI will kill the MC, and the player will get Bad End 3: Hate is not a solution.

Fourth and the worst end, if all the LI's hatred level is more than the affinity level. Here, MC and her whole family will be framed for treason by the LI's, and they'll be executed. The player will get Bad End 4: Merciless.

Shivers run down my spine as I think of the 4th end. "And if I include these new bad end possibilities, then there are a total of 6 bad endings, " that's insane. This game is already impossible to beat with its original mechanics, and now this? "I think I'm slowly starting to get why it's called hell mode, " but then again, if this mode is unbeatable, then it wouldn't be there in the first place. That must mean I'm doing something wrong here.

I wonder if there is something more to this mode, like something I should be doing, but I'm not. Well, at least Grell's hatred didn't increase... but doesn't a decrease in affinity also mean the same thing? As I sit on my bed, puzzled, my room's door opens with a loud bang. "My lady, Sir Ash is here to see you! " Isabelle says, panting.

Chp 9 End