CHP 8: Just A Friend

Ciel walked in our direction, agitated. Are we done for? He stopped next to Sebastian and frowned at Grell. Yup, we ain't surviving this. His eyes then moved from Grell to me, but to my surprise, his next action was unexpected. He came towards me and gently took my hand, kissing the top, "Greetings, Lady (Y/N). I'm Earl Ciel Phantomhive, " he introduces himself. Eh? He knows me? "Greetings Earl, have we met before? " I ask him. He gives a soft smile, "No, Not until now, though your father, Duke Wright, and I meet often, and he has told me a lot about you, " his reply makes one thing clear, Duke Wright is a doting father.

"What brings you to the Phantomhive Estate, Lady (Y/N)? " he asks. Oh well, nothing much Grell and I were just checking out your butler. As if I could say that "I wasn't able to introduce myself at the ball since I wasn't feeling well. So, I thought I'd pay you a visit and introduce myself properly, but it seems like I came at the wrong time, " I reply feigning a sad expression telling him the best possible lie, which he buys. "O-Of course not! In fact, I should have taken this initiative. Sebastian, prepare refreshments for the lady! " he commands Sebastian, to which he gives his signature phrase, Yes, my lord. "Come Lady (Y/N), I'll escort you inside the mansion, " Ciel extends his hands for me to take. I wonder if he's acting nice because I'm the MC or because my status is higher than him. Nevertheless, I take his hand.

"Wait! What about me!? Are you going to leave me here!? " Grell whines. Sebastian glares at him, " I shall take care of you, " as soon as he finishes his sentence, Sebastian back kicks Grell, sending him off to god knows where. What the hell did he just do!? Good thing Grell can't die. "I apologize for the delay. I'll prepare the refreshments right away, " he gives his usual smile, bows, and leaves. Isn't he gonna say sorry, at least? I feel so bad for Grell and his unrequited love for him. Sebastian could have treated him better. Hiding my sadness, I follow Ciel inside the mansion.

Ciel brings me to what seems like a sitting room for guests, the only thing is, it's way too flashy for my tastes. I take a seat on the couch, and Ciel sits opposite me. We look at each other in silence. We don't have a common ground to start a conversation with, and what am I suppose to ask him anyway? Is SebaCiel ship canon? As I think these thoughts, Ciel decides to break the silence, "How is the Duchess? " he asks, "Mother is doing well. In fact, we went to buy clothes yesterday, " I reply, and the room goes into silence again. Oh, wait, I know, "Do you play chess? " this should get the conversation going. "Ah, yes, do you also play chess? " his interest seems to have risen, "Actually, I'm not very good at it, " I reply. I don't think I'll be playing any games after I get outta this otome.

"I've brought the refreshment, my lord, " Sebastian knocks on the door, interrupting our conversation. Bruh, you ended the conversation before it even started. "Come in, " Ciel permits him to enter. Sebastian enters the room with a tray filled with goodies. He keeps the dishes on the table and introduces them one by one, "For today's refreshments, we have creme bruleè, mont blanc, flaugnarde with exotic Darjeeling tea from India, " he finishes keeping the dishes and bows. Don't drool, Don't drool, Don't Drool. You are the daughter of a Duke, for god's sake! "S-So, where were we? " I divert my attention from the desserts to Ciel. "Chess, you are not very good at it, " he says.

Time flies by in the blink of an eye, and it's already time for me to leave. "Thank you for your time, Earl Ciel, " I smile at him, "The pleasure was all mine, and please call me Ciel, " he replies as I get inside the carriage. We had a lotta fun chatting. He is very different from Manga and Anime, maybe because he is an NPC. "Sebastian, escort lady (Y/N) back, " he orders. Woah, wait! Sebastian is gonna be going with me!? "Yes, my lord, " he gets inside the carriage, and we depart to my manor. I sit silently, looking outside the window. I'm too nervous I can't even look at him. Someone help me! My internal screams go on when Sebastian says something.

"I apologize for my rude behavior this morning, " I look at him, "Are you talking about kicking Grell? " as Grell's name slips from my mouth, his expression hardens. Is he trying not to frown? I can tell. "That and for speaking impolitely to you, I sincerely apologize, " he apologizes again, and I softly smile at him. "Honestly, I'm also sorry, I shouldn't have surprised you like that, " his eyes widen a little at my reply, "My lady, please don't apologize to a lowly butler like myself, " he says with his smile, but it's different. His smile seems genuine this time.

"We have arrived! " the coachman yells as the carriage comes to a stop. Sebastian instantly gets out and helps me outside. "Have a good evening, my lady, " he bows down, "You too! " I reply cheerfully. He gets inside the carriage and leaves. That was awesome! I'm happily smiling to myself when a cold voice comes from behind, "You seemed to have enjoyed your time, " I turn back to find the owner of the voice, none other than Grell. "Grell! Are you al- " before I could ask him how he is, he cuts me off in the middle of my sentence, "Bassy seemed to be extremely cozy with you, " his tone was sharp and bitter. "Grell, what's wrong? " I ask him, meekly, he seems...angry, but I've never seen him this way.

"What's wrong? Everything is wrong! I thought you were my friend, but you didn't even defend me back there! Instead, you cozied up to my Bassy, making me look bad! " he yells. H-he is not the Grell I know, "G-Grell I can- " he cuts me off again, "You can explain? What? That it was all your fault for betraying me!? " anger flows in his voice, and without another word, he leaves. I need to stop him, but before I could do that, I realize something. Isn't this what the game was trying to say? I get it. Unlike the original plot where Grell saw MC romantically, he sees me as a friend now. Of course, that's why his ending has now become harder to get. To him, I'm a friend, and to for him to see me romantically, I'll have to work harder. I'm such an idiot.

Chp 8 End