Endangered Shelter | Show

▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️❇️▪️

BANG! BANG! BANG!

The old woman nearly fell out of her rocking chair as the noise reverberated throughout her little rundown house. She would've mistaken it for the raging thunder had it not sounded so urgent. She slowly rose from her seat and trudged over to the half-rotting door.

She reached up to undo the chain when another series of knocks shook the door. "Wait, a second," the woman spoke, shaking her head at the stranger's impatience. Her trembling hands finally managed to pull back the lock and she tugged open the door.

However, she stepped back in alarm when a group of drenched young people huddled together came into view. The light from the room's oil lamp lit up their faces and she could see their chattering teeth and pleading eyes.

"Our c-car broke down and w-we need sh-shelter," stammered the short blonde one at the front who seemed to be dressed entirely in green. "M-may we c-come in?"

"My b-brother's hurt," added the dark-haired girl who had an older red-clad boy leaning on her with his features twisted in pain. "He's b-bleeding."

The blonde one took a light step forward. "Please."

The woman took in the group's pale faces, dripping wet hair, and soaking clothes. Nothing about them seemed odd except for a few cuts and mild bruises that she spotted all over them. Of course, something must've happened that had caused one of them to start bleeding as the girl stated.

Other than these factors, she deduced that they appeared to be harmless. The apprehension on her face disappeared and a kind smile took its place.

"Sure, dearies. Right this way." She stepped aside and almost got pushed over when they all rushed in frantically (save for the girl and her brother who simply limped along while she supported him).

The one in blue gave a grateful sigh, apparently comforted by the warmth of the room. He shook his mop of curly hair and sent droplets flying everywhere. The black one standing near him frowned and slapped the back of his head, hissing, "Stop it."

The old woman shut the door once all six of them were safely inside. They helped their injured friend over to the threadbare ottoman and set him down. Now under proper light, she could see that they looked less like countryside travelers and more like fighters of some sort. From the multicolored gis to the assortment of weapons poking out from here and there, something in her mind clicked.

"You're the Ninja, aren't you?"

The group froze for a second before the one in black cleared his throat and casually swung his right arm back and forth. "Uh, yeah," he nodded, trying not to give it too much importance. "Good guess." He displayed what looked like a nervous grin.

"Well, then why are you out here in the middle of nowhere?" questioned the woman.

The blue one leaned in closer to him and whispered, "Should we tell her?"

"Of course not!" he whispered back.

"What was that, dear?"

"Nothing!" the black one blurted out. He cleared his throat again (and succeeded in raising the woman's suspicion).