Trip

This was all his fault! He made me mad, he made my mom mad, and worst of all, he made my mom mad at me! I clenched my fists so tight my finger nails dug into my skin as my mother continued to glare at us.

"I'm going back to work on my garden, and if I hear anything other than freaking lollipops and rainbows coming out of your mouths to each other , then you will be giving each and every one of the cows a bath. Am I clear?"

Tucker cursed under his breath, and my mother turned her gaze to him. Before she could say anything he jumped off the deck and started heading towards the barn. Sending me last one last glare, my mother turned and headed for her garden. I growled and trotted off to catch up with Tucker.

Once in the barn I grabbed the back of Tucker's shirt to make him stop.

He immediately jumped out of my grasp and spun around to face me, his fists clenched. I flinched backwards, afraid of the terrifying look that had appeared in his eyes. Almost as quickly as his mood had changed the first time, he calmed back down, taking a deep breath.

"Sorry, you...startled...me." he muttered, running a hand through his black hair.

I stared at him in bewilderment, unsure of what I should say. He continued to stare at me with his black eyes. I opened my mouth to say something, but he spoke first.

"I can't believe I'm stuck out here." he muttered, easily the most I had ever heard him say. His reaction to my touch forgotten, my temper flared once again.

"You're stuck out here? I've been out here all day!" I whisper yelled, glaring at him. He raised a slow eye brow. "Why are you whispering?"

I hesitated before answering. "Because my mom hears everything."I said hurriedly, rushing past him and walking to the other end of the barn so I could find a round bale that was still good to roll out. I turned around and bumped into him, cursing under my breath.

"Alright, that's the third time that's happened. Make some noise, will you?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

Our hay barn was large and very full, mostly with bales. all of the round bales had been placed in the back, so when our normal hay season came in, we accidentally buried them in the back. I climbed nimbly over the bales of hay, ignoring the pain when the sharp pieces stabbed my bare legs. I instantly regretted my choice of shorts and a t shirt.

It didn't take me long to find a suitable bale, and I sighed as I realized I would have to move several bales of hay in order to roll the round bale out to the aisle. I placed my hands on my hips and chewed on my lip as I thought. Suddenly, someone cleared their throat behind me, making me jump, because I thought it was my mother.

I whirled around and was face to face with Tucker. "Um, want help?" he asked, looking at the bale. I narrowed my eyes, suspicious of why he was suddenly so willing to help.

"Why?" I asked, looking up at him. He looked back down at me, his hair falling into his eyes.

"Because I don't wanna get fired." he said, as if it should have been obvious. I guess I could see that. If he got in trouble he could end up in jail.

"Yeah, if we don't do something soon, my mom will assume we are fighting and hand cuff us together or something." I said, rolling my eyes. A small glimmer of amusement appeared in Tucker's eyes.

"That wouldn't be a problem." he said, shrugging. I raised my eye brows.

"Oh really? Why is that?"

He walked past me, putting his hands against a round bale and preparing to push it. "Because I can pick cuffs." he said, as if I should have known.