Protect

I tugged on Tucker’s arm.

“It’s fine, lets just go.” I said urgently. He looked down at me.

“This isn’t good, Syd.” He murmured.

“What isn’t?”

We both turned once again to face who ever had spoke behind us, only a few feet away. A short, bulky man wearing a white tank top with his arms sleeved in tattoos, a bald head, and ripped jeans. I couldn’t really make out much else in the dark. All I knew was that there was a man both in front and behind us. I could feel the tension rolling off of Tucker. I should have listened to him. If anything happened to him…it was going to be all my fault. What if this guy had a gun or something?

“We’re just passing through. No trouble.” Tucker said in a low, dangerous voice. No one could look as dangerous, as lethal as Tucker. I would have hated to be on the receiving end of that look.

I heard the other guy come to a stop behind us, but he said nothing, and I didn’t dare take my eyes off the guy in front of us.

“No trouble, eh? Of course, of course…” he let the statement trail off as his gaze lowered to me. the look he gave me made me throw up in my mouth a little.

“But what are you doing out here? It ain’t safe out here for a pretty little thing like you.” He purred, stepping closer. Tucker stepped forward also, towering over the smaller man, but it didn’t deter him.

“Whoa, calm down, buddy, just saying.” He suddenly stopped talking and stared at Tucker’s face, his eye narrowing.

“I recognize that face….you’re Murph’s kid.” He said, his voice raising. I looked between him and Tucker, and saw the swift pass of rage and surprise flicker across Tucker’s face.

“Yeah, yeah, I thought you was in jail?” the guy sneered, folding his arms over his chest. I glanced over my shoulder at the other guy, who was standing in much the same position as the man I assumed to be his boss or whatever.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. Let us pass.” Tucker said in a low voice, but the man only smiled.

“Don’t lie to me, kid. There aint many people with a scar like that.” He said, dragging a finger over his eye, showing where Tucker had a scar. He was right, Tucker did have a scar just like that, arcing over his eyebrow. Tucker was silent.

“You nearly killed Butch.” He said in a much more serious tone. The man behind us stepped closer, and I clung to Tucker’s side, terrified. This was all my fault. “We been lookin’ for you, kid. Butch has been too.” He said slowly, then looked at me.

“Be a shame if he found out you were around these parts…” he looked back at tucker and grinned sickly at him, revealing gaping black holes where teeth should have been.

“How’s about we cut you a deal? You uh, give us the girl, and Butch aint ever gotta know.” He said, smiling triumphantly. Tucker growled and got right in the man’s face.

“You don’t touch her, you don’t even think about touching her.” He snarled.

“You got a real temper, kid, something that needs to be fixed.” He said, and with a movement faster than I could see, his brought his arm back and let it snap forward.

But Tucker was faster. He dodged it and immediately snapped his fist into the other mans face, making a disgusting crunching sound.

“Run, Sydney!” Tucker said, but the man behind us grabbed me by the shoulders, dragging me towards an alley.