Chapter 10 "Katniss' Revenge" {Edited}

Cato’s PoV

Blood pumps out of Peeta’s leg as he looks at me in hatred and horror.

“Go,” I say, “before I do anymore damage. I’d rather you suffer.”

“You…you aren’t even human.” Peeta spits and I slash his cheek. My sword, dripping in ichor, drags me down as I return back to the Careers. I had made sure his injury was fatal, so he would die painfully and torturously. By the finale, an infection would have spread, coursing through his veins and reaching his heart…And we all know what happens after that. Katniss will suffer.

Our supplies had been abandoned with the tracker jackers, and we couldn’t risk returning back to them.

“We should collect supplies,” Marvel says. Everyone nods and begins walking in a direction we are not really sure of. There is a sound of footsteps thumping in the distance, with a rustle of leaves with each step.

“I’ll get ‘em.” Clove sprints past the tall trees, disappearing into the haze.

“Let’s follow her.” We dash in the direction Clove had gone in, to find

a sixteen-year-old boy straggling on the ground, with Clove yanking his legs aggressively. He’s a scrawny boy for his age, which doesn’t help him in fighting but he’s from 3, so he must be somewhat intelligent. Clove pulls out her knife once she gets a strong grip on him and he doesn’t fight back.

“Any last words?” Clove taunts, sneering.

 “No, no, please, I can build mines to protect all your supplies, just let me live.” he pleads, as Clove’s decision could be the very end of his short life.

She ponders for a second, messing with him with her choice. “Okay, but mess up and you know what happens. What’s your name?”

“Robert.” He sighs with relief.

Our supplies are gathered in close proximity to the river. We had taken all the supplies that no one had touched near the Cornucopia. Night is beginning to fall, with the twilit sky emerging over us.

“Robert builds the mines for us tonight, and takes watch,” Marvel instructs and glares at Robert, “got it?”

Robert nods shakily and scurries away to begin his task.

After setting up a shelter for the night, we all discuss our strategy for the next day.

“We don’t need one. The best we can do is split up to cover more ground,” suggests Glimmer, yawning.

“But what if one of us gets attacked?” I ask, mainly thinking of the dream I had with Clove dying.

“I’m sure we can fend for ourselves,” Marvel says.

“It’s not the time to get cocky. We’re so close to the finale, it’s better to at least be in pairs. You should stay together, but not too close so if one gets attacked, the other can use the element of surprise to kill the person,” Clove says, flicking her greasy hair out of her face.

“Okay, I’ll go with Marvel, and you go with Cato. Obviously, trust problems will be put aside this way, right?” Glimmer winks at Clove and I. “Well, I’m tired, so I hope you all make it through to morning.” She grabs her dagger and wipes the dirt off it, while making her way to the sleeping bag.

“I’ll stay up a bit longer to keep an eye on Robert, in case he tries anything,” I say, worrying if he could be the guy in the dream.

“In that case, I’ll stay up too.” Clove smiles.