Chapter 4 "Trains and Chariots" {Edited}

Clove’s PoV

Cato is waiting at the entrance of the train for me. Spectra takes us to a rather large cabin. It has a red, leather seat with a table for eating. Two beds stand on each of the corners of the cabin. The floor is expensively carpeted and giant windows take up most of the train. There are two metal doors, one to the bathroom and the other to an unknown room. Everything is painted in a glossy black, while lamps that are switched off, take up space on the mahogany table with refreshments. Spectra heads to the room to our left and we decide to follow her. Two people dressed formally are sitting on the couch. One of them is drinking and the other is licking her sharp. It has to Enobaria, obviously. Her dark hair is spread out on her back and her eyes stare at us expectantly. She was the one to teach me how to throw knives. The other one is a bald man with pale, blue eyes. He’s quite old now but still as fit and strong as when he won the Hunger Games around 20 years ago. The room is twice as much the size of ours and it has a giant banquet laid out to our right. Its also painted a glossy black with leather seats all around the room.

“We meet again, Cato, Clove,” Enobaria says. “You know Brutus, right? I bet you both idolised him at one point.”
“Nice to meet you,” Brutus greets and shakes our hands. “Eat up and rest. Then we’ll talk strategy. It’s going to be a big day for us.” We both nod and grab a ceramic plate decorated with pale yellow birds. I take a piece of chicken while Cato takes beef. Then the salad and for dessert, crème caramel.

I wait for Cato at the comfortable leather seats. It’s kind of the first time having so much luxurious food at once. My family is rich but I took my training very seriously. That means learning how to starve. Cato is gorging down his food like there’s no tomorrow. There definitely is though.

“Hungry, are we?” I tease and giggle a bit.

He laughs while saying, “ I can see you are!”

Cato finishes first and I finish my last spoonful, saving the dessert. He’s eyeing it with a strong hunger. I let him have a spoonful.

“Even you are sweeter than this dessert,” he says with his mouth full.

“How romantic, especially with that food in your mouth!” I say in a sarcastic tone.

We lay on one of the beds next to each other. Cato locks his arms around my waist and we rest our heads against each other. Then we fall into a deep sleep.

Cato’s PoV

My heart is pounding when I awake. I try to move but I couldn’t because Clove is resting her body against mine. She groans a little in her sleep but doesn’t wake up. I watch her still face while brushing her messy hair behind her ear. Then I slightly push her off me. The train is still; we’ve probably arrived at another district now. I have to talk to Brutus and Enobaria about surviving and getting sponsors.

“Good morning, Cato,” Enobaria says. “Looking for Brutus?”

“Yes,” I reply.

“Brutus!” Enobaria yells. He stumbles through the carriage door with a glass of red wine.

“Cato and Clove have been my students at the Training Academy so I’ve already taught them everything I know about fighting skills and etcetera. Therefore, I want you to teach them something useful. I’ll be getting ready in the bathroom.”