Chapter 2

Emiko, wearing a mint green button-up t-shirt and jeans, sat on the floor of Yugi's living room with him, Joey, Tristan, and Téa as they prepared to watch the Duel Monsters Regional Championship together. The TV was on and the snacks had been brought out. As Emiko grabbed a small handful of pretzels, Yugi's grandfather, Solomon, brought out a bunch of cans of soda, passing them around to the kids while the announcer on the screen gave his opening commentary.

"Good evening, duel fans and our 10 million viewers at home! Welcome to the Duel Monsters Duel Dome where tonight, the Duel Monsters Regional Championship will be decided. Of the 200 duelists who have competed over the last two weeks in this marathon tournament, only two competitors remain standing. Please put your cards together for Weevil Underwood, the Bug Brawler, and his opponent, the number-one-ranked Rex Raptor, the Dino Duelist!"

Emiko took a swig of her soda and Joey said, "Wow, bug-boy versus dinosaur-breath? Seriously, what kind of a match is that? That could have been me up there!" Yugi said, "Joey, I know you've been training for weeks, but those guys are at a completely different level than you." Joey sighed. Emiko said, "How have your lessons with Mr. Muto been going, Joey?" Joey said tiredly, "I think they've been going pretty okay. Duel Monsters is kind of a crazy game, though." Solomon interrupted, saying, "Hey, Yugi, this package came for you!" He brought in a mid-sized box with a green design and lettering on it. Yugi's eyes widened and he read the shipping label.

"Wow," he exclaimed, "It's from Industrial Illusions!" Emiko's eyes narrowed. She thought, "Hang on. Seto got a package just like that awhile back. I wonder." Joey pondered aloud, "That's the company that makes the Duel Monsters game! Why the heck would they be sending you a package, Yuge?" He shrugged and said, "I'm not sure. Do you think it had something to do with me beating Kaiba?" Emiko looked up at him and asked, "You think so?" Yugi said, "Well, it wasn't an official match or anything, but Kaiba did drop out of the tournament because of me." She sighed.

"Yeah," she thought, "And he walked out on us because of that match, too. It hit him really hard." Tristan said, interrupting, "Woah! Guys! Raptor just stomped Weevil!" Joey asked, "Hey, Yugi, are these guys any good?" Yugi nodded and said, "Oh yeah. They wouldn't have made it up to the top if they weren't. Weevil specializes in insect cards and he's a great strategist. Rex uses his dinosaur cards' power to overwhelm his opponents." Téa said, "So, it's truly a brains-versus-brawns kind of fight." The group turned to the TV screen to watch how the match played out.

Rex picked a card from his hand and laid it on the field. As the announcer gave his commentary, the hologram sprung to life in the arena.

"Oh, and Raptor plays the best card in his deck: the terrible Two-Headed King Rex!" the announcer said, "It looks like this match could be over right here and now!" Raptor snickered, "Your move, Weevil." Confidently, Weevil placed a card from his hand onto the field, cackling, "Aw, all I've got is this weak little bug." The announcer said, "Weevil Underwood counters with a Basic Insect card. What in the world could he be thinking?" Joey asked, "Yeah. What is bug-boy thinking? He plays a wimpy bug against a giant dinosaur?" Rex launched an attack towards Weevil, who swiftly countered, activating a trap card and upgrading his Basic Insect, making short work of Rex's monster and the rest of his life points.

The announcer said, "A stunning upset by Weevil Underwood, our newest champion!" Emiko and the others cheered. As the duelling arena platform lowered Weevil to the ground, the announcer said, "And now, a very special honour for our new champion: here to present the Duel Monsters Regional Championship trophy, the creator of Duel Monsters and the President of Industrial Illusions himself, ladies and gentlemen and fellow duelists, I give you Mr. Maximillion Pegasus!" On the floor of the duelling arena, a small hatch opened up and a man with long, silver hair, dressed in a rich, red suit was slowly elevated onto the arena, holding a golden trophy in his arms. He waved at the crowd pleasantly, then knelt down, handing Weevil the trophy.