Chapter 25

"Pegasus," Yugi urged, "Do you know what card I just pulled and layed on the field?" Pegasus gritted his teeth. Yugi continued, "Go ahead and use your Millennium Eye to read my mind and find out. If you think you can, that is."

Emiko muttered, "What's going on?" Téa said, "Yugi must be using the powers of his own Millennium Item to block Pegasus out of his mind. I think it has something to do with the Spirit inside the Puzzle!" Joey said, "That's nuts!" Emiko asked, "Can he do that? Woah."

Pegasus smirked and said, "You can hide nothing from me, little Yugi!" He stood for a moment, lost in thought, then gasped. He said, "No! I can't tell what that card is!" Yugi, chuckling, said, "I'm afraid I can't tell what that card is, either. Reading my mind will tell you absolutely nothing." Pegasus' eye widened, realizing that this wasn't Yugi at all; rather, it was the Spirit of the Millennium Puzzle inhabiting Yugi's body. He grimaced. The Spirit continued, "You see, I don't know what that card is, for I am no longer Yugi Muto. Through the power of my Millennium Puzzle, two minds inhabit this body. Now, each time you try to read our minds, we'll use the Mind Shuffle."

Téa cheered and said, "Yes! See? I told you, Yugi's battling Pegasus with not one, but two minds!" Joey said, "I get it! I guess it's true what they say: two minds are better than one!" Emiko beamed and cheered, "Alright!"

Down in the dungeons, six of Pegasus' guards still had Bakura and Tristan cornered. Bakura stood at the ready with a single card from his duelling deck in hand. Tristan held onto Mokuba's legs and watched nervously. The front man said, "Give us back our prisoner and no one gets hurt!" Their guns were aimed and ready to fire at any moment.

"You ignorant mortals," Bakura chuckled, "I'll make you all regret this day." Tristan gasped as Bakura held up the card and the monster, Man-Eater Bug, materialized out of thin air, chasing and devouring the guards one by one until only one man remained standing, trembling out of fear. The man had dropped his gun and fallen to the ground, begging for mercy. Bakura walked towards him, pulling another card out of his deck and snickering, "Present-day humans are so much fun to terrorize." Tristan said cautiously, "I-I would have to disagree, but I am a 'present-day human'. What the heck are you?" Bakura held up the card, once again bringing it to life, the Morphing Jar letting out a loud, high-pitched shriek as it consumed the final guard, leaving nothing but the man's gun in its wake. He said calmly, "Me? Simply someone with great power." Tristan was shaking, but he stood his ground behind his former friend. Bakura turned to him and said, "Now, then. I have some business to attend to." Tristan snapped, "Alright, time for you to come clean. I know you're not really our friend Bakura. You're the evil one that Yugi banished. He sent you to the graveyard, freeing Bakura from your control!" The white-haired boy stepped forward.

"Yes," he said, "But that wouldn't have happened if Bakura hadn't betrayed me." He stepped closer to Tristan and said, "I've decided that I need a new host. Someone with the keys to power, so-to-speak." He glanced back at Tristan whose eyes widened. Tristan said, "No way. You want Mokuba." Bakura said, "Very perceptive of you, now hand over the boy or else you'll face the same fate as those guards. You know I have the power to back up my threats." Tristan reeled. He gripped Mokuba's legs tightly.

"So, what will it be," Bakura said. He folded his arms and the air around them grew cold. Tristan sighed and shifted, adjusting his grip so that he was holding Mokuba in front of him. Bakura said, holding his arms out, "Smart move." Tristan thought quickly, smirked, and threw Mokuba at him.

"Catch," he said, moving behind Bakura quickly as he caught Mokuba, taken aback. He slammed his elbow sharply into the back of Bakura's head, sending him to the ground with Mokuba. He said, "Sorry, guys." He thought, reaching down to check on them, "Bakura's gonna wake up with a pretty bad headache later, but I'm sure he'll understand." He grabbed the Ring, taking it off and looking down at the golden item. He muttered, "Since the Spirit lives inside this Ring, I gotta get rid of it." He ran back to the open doorway where he had previously nearly fallen to his death. He looked down at the Ring, then threw it into the wilderness outside as far as he could.