Chapter Twenty-Three

I miss u 2. XXX, I read, brushing my thumb over the screen as my smile sketched wider over my face.

"Ashley," I heard, bringing me from my thoughts.

"Huh. Sorry," I said, looking back at Alex.

"Have you got everything you wanted?" she asked, looking at my full basket and hers. They were piled with posters, pillows, quilt covers, and accessories.

"Yeah, I think so." I altered the basket handles, stopping them from pinching my skin. "Maybe we should mention Woolworths needs trolleys."

"Yeah, that would have made this easier," she laughed, heading to the tills.

"What's the plan for tonight?" I asked, piling my items into the carrier bags.

"Ooh. You are going to love this," Alex squeaked. "So, last-minute change. Mum and Dad are having a BBQ with loads of their friends," she paused. My expression altered, imagining the kind of party my parents would throw, shoving me in my bedroom out of the way. "No, it's not as it sounds. My parents throw the best parties. They open the pool and hot tub, and Harley brings her friends and slips me drinks."

My eyebrows raised, and my smile returned, "Harley?"

"She's my older sister. She's back for the weekend."

"Oh, okay. So she's older, older?"

"She's twenty. She goes to NYC."

"Wow, that's far."

"Yeah, she went as far away as she could. She's pretty cool, and I think you'll like her," Alex said. "Actually, I know you will like her."

"Come on, let's go back to mine. Sammy, Morgan, and Emily are coming round, and we need to pitch some tents up in the garden."

"Tents?"

She nodded, picked up one of my bags, and tugged me along as I dawdled on my phone, reading my text message.

I'm going 2 Lewis's. Enjoy ur sleepover. I love u, xxx.

My heart sank a little, quickly taking me back to Lewis's hidden identity. Though, seeing as Olly made it clear that partying was not his scene, I knew I had nothing to worry about.

I love u. C u tomoz xxx

"I don't have a swimming costume?" I muttered, putting my phone in my trouser pocket.

Alex laughed. "You don't need one; I have loads or wear your clothes."

I loved how free-spirited Alex was. She was nothing like anyone else I knew. She went with the flow and was insultingly honest, which was her best quality. Being around her eased me. She didn't question anything I bought, not the black pillows, red and black chequered bed covers, Avril, Good Charlotte and Pink posters. Nor did she comment on how I dressed, talked, or felt. She was my best friend, and I was glad to have her. And since she mentioned it, I hoped she wouldn't follow in her sister's footsteps and leave for a distant university too.

*

"This one attaches to that one," Morgan shouted over the pile of twisted fabrics and poles.

"Oh my god, we have been doing this for hours," I huffed, dropping my poles and stretching my back.

"It says fifteen minutes on the bag," Morgan laughed.

Alex glanced at Morgan, Emily, and then me. She dropped everything and burst into laughter, stepping out of the mess in the middle of us, "Dad," she shouted. "Can you come here, please?"