Chapter Thirty-Two

I smoothed out my dress, looking at my reflection. A dress; I couldn't believe I was wearing a dress. Besides my prom dress, I had worn nothing other than capri pants, baggy shorts, vest tops, and flares all summer. I'd entirely ditched any feminine style.

Lauren and Sophie wouldn't know what hit them if they saw my dark wardrobe. They would be beside themselves.

Running my hands through my long, curled hair, I picked out the chunky highlights and laid them on top. Adjusting my diamonte choker wrapped around my neck, I gulped, sitting my bottom lip between my teeth as I grinned. I looked pretty. My mirror and I were finally friends.

It liked me.

I liked myself.

My strapless dress hugged my chest and gave me a waistline. The top half was black and laced with a corset style running down the front. The bottom was black and white striped and flared out. It matched my new platform boots, adding to my never-ending collection.

Switching off my Avril CD on the way to my bedroom window, I glanced into Olly's garden. His parents were throwing him a leaving party, music was blaring, and people were beginning to crowd. With his college allowing residential pupils, he would only be back on weekends; he promised he would be.

We had a few more weeks until summer ended, that time I had planned to spend every minute of him with, but he was leaving early for a summer football camp he had signed up for. We only had two days left together. Instead of spending every minute alone with him, I had to endure a party surrounded by people I had never met.

"Ashley, come on," Zoe squealed, barging into my room before coming to a stop, "Wow, you look pretty."

I turned towards her, and my cheeks pinked a little, "Thanks, squidge. So do you."

Zoe wore her first pair of small chunky heeled sandals and a flowery dark blue summer dress; it highlighted her red hair, which I curled earlier. She looked older, more mature. I couldn't believe she was nearly ten.

"Come here," I said, opening my desk drawer, where I had shoved every glittery hair accessory I owned and was yet to get rid of. I pointed and said, "Pick a colour." Zoe beamed, eagerly grabbing the drawer and tipping it out on the bed.

Rumidging through the pile, she went for the big pink glittery butterfly clip she had always had her eye on. She clenched her jaw, waiting for me to say no like I usually would.

"You can have them," I said, picking them up and placing them into a pink playboy makeup bag.

"Really?" she squeaked, and I nodded.

"Here," I insisted, taking the clip into my hand. I stroked the wings and watched them bounce, reminiscing the time I bought it with Lauren, a time that didn't feel real anymore. I placed it into her hair, "It suits you better."

"Thank you, Ashley," Zoe said, squeezing me tightly, and I hugged her back.

"Come on, let's go. Mum and dad are waiting."

"Gosh, where did my sweet sixteen-year-old go?" Dad said as we walked down the stairs hand in hand, "And look at you, princess."

"Thanks, Daddy," Zoe said before dancing around the hallway.

"Dad," I blushed. "Are you sure it's not too much?"

"No, sweetheart, you look beautiful," Mum added, squeezing my hand as I reached her, giving her a tentative smile.

We had barely spoken since finding out about Olly, and her keeping secrets from me and apologising made it no better. She had lied to me, knowing it would hurt me. Sure it seemed the kindest way to keep me from heartbreak, and I probably would have done the same, but if I knew the truth from the beginning, perhaps I wouldn't have let myself get so close to Olly. My heart wouldn't be facing heartbreak that way. Instead, it was twice over, once by Olly and then mum. I trusted her. I trusted them both.