Chapter 8: The Truth Sinks In

The moment that your mother realized what these boys really were to you

The moment that your mother realized what these boys really were to you. You had thought you had made it obvious multiple times before, but apparently it didn't hit her until one family dinner.

You had quite literally referred to them as your "boyfriends" before. Maybe the meaning of that had rolled off her back, or maybe she didn't realize there wasn't a space between the two words. Maybe it hadn't hit her how serious it actually was until they came back with you for a week during a break in your freshman year of college.

Your boyfriends were out staking out a local volleyball team that you had set them up with through some local friends. It was crazy to you that Bokuto found it physically impossible to stop playing for even a week. He was so interested in what volleyball would be like in other countries, it only made sense for you to get him set up for his first week here in a long time, and Kuroo wanted to tag along, of course.

You stayed back in your childhood home. The three of you were staying in a local Airbnb that you got for pretty cheap, but right now you were helping your mother prepare food for what she was calling an important dinner with your "friends."

"They're my boyfriends, Mom," you responded.

"I know," she happily replied. You found it strange how easily she was taking that information, but decided to ignore it. Maybe she was really that accepting of it from having so long to sit on it since she first met them. They were sweet boys, what would there be for her to not like about them?

The two of you continued about in the kitchen, completing your tasks as the meal came together. "So, that Koutarou. He's pretty good at volleyball, right?"

"He's a professional, actually," you answered. "Already being scouted for the Olympic team."

"What about Kuroo?" your mom asked. "He's playing at the club right now, too, right?"

You nodded. "Yeah, they both really love the game. Tetsu is just focusing on school right now so he doesn't get to play too often."

"Are you having fun over there?" she asked, her voice more quiet than before. You knew that she missed you and questioned your decision, but you always made it repeatedly clear how much you liked it in Japan. It felt right there, not at all like you always felt in the country you were born in.

"I am, Mom," you answered. "I love it a lot and I have the best people with me. They really make me happy, you know."

She didn't answer right away, but she eventually said. "I know that. Maybe one day you'll come back?"

You turned. "I'm already back. Plus, Bokuto's career could bring him anywhere in the world. It's hard to tell where we'll end up."

That's when you heard the doorbell. It hadn't even fully rung out before it was rung another two times. That's how you instantly knew it was your boyfriends coming back from their practice.