Seven

Corbin.

"Hey," a quiet voice woke me up. I didn't need to open my eyes to see who it was, I could sense her beautiful scent from miles away.
Her face was inches away from mine, with my eyes still shut I reached out and hooked my arms around her neck, pulling her into my bed.

Avri squealed cutely as I held on to her, pretending to try and bite her neck. She squealed again a little louder and we fought playfully until we both managed to roll off the bed with a large thump on the floor.
It resulted in Mom yelling at me to keep it down because she's trying to get Ash to take a nap.

We both stifled a laugh on the floor, the bedsheets still knotted around us.
"Was that your mom? She sounds nice," Avri whispered.
I looked at her, her beautiful eyes stared back at me.

I swear world war 3 could have burst out at the exact second and I don't think I would have even thought about looking away from her.
My hand reached out and I found myself stroking her soft cheek.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked me.
"Why do you think?"
"Because I'm the best person in the whole wide world?"
"Correct,"

"Okay," she said and scrambled around the sheets so she could stand up properly. She stretched and then put her hands on her hips. "Then how come I've got to climb through your balcony window? Why can't you introduce me to your family so I can use the door like a normal person?"

I sighed and went over to close the glass doors that led to the balcony.
"Ave, it's not that simple," I said.
"What isn't?" She asked.

I sat on the edge of my bed and rubbed my hands all over my face.
Avri came up behind and sat behind me, her lean legs either side of mine and she pressed her cheek on my back.
"What's going on?"
"I just..." I started but then I shook my head "No, I'm just being an idiot,"

The truth was that I had actually become jealous. It was like that wooden plank to Caden's head made him a new person. I mean the kid actually starts helping out around the house with a smile on his face for goodness sake.

Even more than that, he's really starting to hang out with dad a lot more . I couldn't believe it at first. I thought he was after something, like sucking up to him for money or something but when it lasted for more than a week, I knew it was real.

Caden had never been to good with commitment before. He found it hard to commit to a pet goldfish after 24hrs once and ended up flushing it away.

Him and dad have been going everywhere together and I barely even get a side look now.
I should be happy that they're finally getting along and making up for all those years but I just couldn't.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it," Avri said. She pressed her lips against my back and sent a shiver all the way up it.
She was really the only one I had left.

I took one of her hands that was wound tight around my chest and I kissed it, leaving my lips there longer than I should have.
Now would have been the perfect time to tell her that I loved her.
But I didn't want to say it now, not when I was feeling bitter.

When she finally let me go, she crawled over to my pillow and lay on her side, one cheek resting on her hand. She patted the space next to it and I took it.
I lay down on my back, staring up at the ceiling.

Avri was a Were too. She would have noticed the bitterness in my eyes so I didn't want to look at her.
She put one hand on my stomach and drew aimless circles.
"Tell me something about you that I don't know," she said softly.

I stayed quiet for a moment, thinking about it.
"I wish I was Caden sometimes," I admitted. From the corner of my eye, I saw her frown delicately.
"Why? What's wrong with Corbin?" She asked.
"Everything," I sighed and closed my eyes.