Fifteen

Corbin.

Caden lay beside me on the grass, his face glistening and drenched with sweat. It dripped down his chin and onto his heaving chest.
"I wanna give up. Forget it, I don't wanna be an Alpha anymore. Give me a 9 to 5 job instead, I want a house, a wife, kids and a dog. Let me live peacefully!" He gasped dramatically.

Nick towered over him with his hands on his hips.
"That was just a warm up, kid. Get up,"
"No," Caden replied and put his arm over his eyes.
Nick nodded and went away.
I sat up painfully and I shook Caden's arm. My own arm was sore with all the exercises Nick made us do.
"Come on, this was your idea remember?"
"Yeah will it's a stupid idea," he mumbled.

Nick came back staggering with a huge bucket that was full to the brim with water.
"I'm gonna count until three and I want you both up," Nick said, his hand gripping the bucket.

Caden and I groaned at the same time and I flopped back onto my back, staring up at the grey morning sky.
"I'm gonna count now," Nick warned "Ready?...Three!"

He dumped the bucket of freezing ice cold water over us both making us both jolt up like an electric current went through us. We both gasped and coughed and spluttered, shivering from the ice.
Nick crouched down beside us.
"Up, now," he took his whistle and blew a sharp shrill noise into our ears.

We struggled to stand up but did it quickly before he found another way to add to our misery.
"Why do Alpha's have to go through so much training anyway?"
"As Alpha's you'll be the most targeted of all the Were's. Everyone knows that if they managed to strike the Alpha, the pack will disperse, so you need to be vigilant and -"

Nick stopped in mid-sentence and threw a random punch at Caden. Caden was sharp and blocked it quickly, twisting Nick's arm into his back.
"Ow, okay, alright, point taken," he said. Caden let him go and he rubbed his wrist, but as he did so he tried to do a spin kick at my face but I grabbed his ankle and flipped him backwards so that he landed with a thump on his back.

"Wow, you guys are fast learners," he remarked, clutching his winded chest.
"That's my boys," Dad suddenly appeared out of nowhere and held his hand down to Nick, helping him up.
Dad smiled at us.
"You saw all that?" Caden asked
"Yes, I did,"
"Does this mean -" I started, with a hopeful anticipation but before I even finished my sentence, Dad frowned and cut back with a sharp "No."

"For the last few weeks you guys have been bugging me about this but my word is final, okay?"
"Colten, they've been making amazing progress. I mean, Caden who has never done homework in his life, can actually remember things like the anatomy of the Alpha wolf and -"

Dad held up his hand to stop Nick.
"Yes and that's great. But this doesn't change anything. They had their chance and they blew it, now I don't wanna hear anymore begging on this subject,"

Caden slumped a little. To anyone else he looked normal but I could see that he was disappointed. All that hard work and Dad didn't even congratulate him or anything.
Dad didn't notice and fixed his watch.
"Anyway, mom and I are going to see my second cousin, I hear he has very powerful Alpha blood in him and hopefully we can persuade him to take the position,"

Caden put his hands in his pockets, looked down and scuffed the toe of his shoe on the grass and the puddles of water.

"You guys can come if you want," Dad said.
Caden sniffed and pretended to look somewhere else.
Dad looked at me hopefully and I looked down too.
"Guess not then," he said. "Well we'll see you in a couple of hours," He stepped forward and tried to ruffle Caden's wet hair but Caden stared in the eye and took a step back, his chin stuck out defiantly.