Eight

Caden.

It was rare that Corbin and I would spend even less than one hour without talking to eachother.
But now, after he tried to kill me, we couldn't even walk past eachother without a snarling at each other.
"Hey watch it!" I snapped at him when he barged into my shoulder to step past me.

Actually I was the one who edged closer just to bang shoulders with him.
"You watch it, fat head," he muttered as he kept walking down the hallway.
I spun around.
"What did you say?"
I reached out and grabbed him by the collar pulling him towards me and turned him around.

"Say it again if you're brave," I said menacingly.
Corbin looked me straight in the eyes.
"I said you have a fat head and nobody likes you and you were probably adopted," he said childishly.

"Idiot,"
"Imbecile,"
"Dog breath,"
Corbin leaned in close and then breathed all over my face.
"Is that enough dog breath for you?"

"Urgh, why am I even wasting my time with you?" I said pushing past him to go downstairs.
"I'm not even talking to you," he grumbled.
"Good," I replied "Less earache for me,"

The whole week we did nothing but argue to the point where Mom and dad essentially gave up on us. They were too tired to yell or punish us and left us to our own devices.

But suddenly, Corbin wasn't replying to my insults and seemed a lot more withdrawn. Even though I wasn't talking to him, I still needed to argue with him.
Each time I tried picking a fight with him, he just looked blankly past me and often I'd catch him smiling to himself.

"Mom what's wrong with Corbin?" I moaned because he'd ignored me for the third time in a day. Even when I snipped a small chunk off his hair. He barely batted an eyelid.
She shrugged as she set the table.
"Why is he any different?"
"He doesn't react anymore! He's just there and it's really frustrating,"

"Well, sweetheart, maybe he's just grown up now. He's mature, I guess,"
"That's stupid. He's 16, nobody is grown up at 16,"
"Leave him, Caden. He'll come back to you soon, don't worry."

Sometimes mothers think they know the future and they assure you everything will be okay but they're often wrong.
If anything, Corbin drew further away from me. I rarely saw him at school and it would genuinely surprise me if I saw him at home.

I noticed that at lunch time he would slip out and only come back just before the afternoon lesson.
Obviously I had to get to the bottom of what he was up to.

"Corbin wait," I said grabbing his wrist before he dashed out the school.
He looked impatient.
"What?"
"Will you hang out with me just this lunch?"

Corbin groaned "I can't,"
"You mean you don't want to?"
"You have your whole troupe of friends over there, go hang out with them,"
"It's not the same," I whined.

He pulled his wrist away from my grasp.
"Maybe next week or something,"
"What? Come on, man, I hardly see you anymore,"
Corbin smiled at me and tapped my cheek.

"Look in the mirror then."

I cursed him under my breath as he turned quickly and went down the steps.
He picked up pace and then ran ahead of me. I decided to follow him and ran behind him.
I had always been faster than Corbin, always. But somehow, I ended up being a fraction of a second behind him no matter how hard I pushed myself.

Finally he started slowing down. He'd stopped in front of another high school. I watched him carefully from behind. He wasn't the slightest bit out of breath even though we ran straight for 20 minutes.
I tried to even my own breathing to make it seem like I wasn't as tired.