Sixteen

Caden.

"Caden is he going to be okay?" Avri asked for what sounded like the millionth time. She still had Corbin's head in her lap cradling him close.
"Well not if you're strangling him like that, he's not,"
She looked down at her arms that were wrapped around his neck and unraveled them pretty quick.

We'd managed to drag Corbin back outside whilst the rest of the house was being checked over again. Nick paced on the grass like a lunatic. His hair stuck up crazily and his eyes were large and wild, every so often he'd glance at Corbin, probably have a vivid image of dad eating him alive, then he would resume pacing.

"Can you stop pacing for a moment?" Avri asked him "You're making us all nervous,"
"I'm the one who should be nervous! I've basically killed Colten's son!"
Avri stiffened when she heard 'killed', she looked Nick dead in the eye.
"He's not dead! Take that back!"
"Well he's not exactly alive and kicking, is he?" He snapped back.
"You won't be alive and kicking if you carry on," she replied fiercely.

"Will you two stop it?" I said "What I wouldn't give to trade places with Corbin right now,"
I looked down at my brother and his blood had dried out but the wound wasn't healing. I stuck on finger out and brought it close to it.
Nick tapped my hand away.
"Don't touch it!"
"Well if it's as painful as everyone says it is, it should be enough to shock him back awake,"
Nick nodded and so I pressed down on the cut hard.

Corbin's eyes snapped open aggressively, the blue from his eyes drained and they became shockingly white for a moment. He screamed out loud and then punched me right in the stomach. I tumbled backwards and closed my fist to retaliate but Nick grabbed my wrist just in time.

"What was that?" Corbin yelled.
"A simple thank you would have been fine," I said rubbing my stomach.
He peered down at his own abdomen where there was a small but gaping open wound. A bit of the flesh was starting to turn a weird mix of white and purple.
"That's disgusting," Avri said but she still hugged him and showered him with kisses.

"Ah man, how am I gonna explain this to your father?" Nick groaned.
"It's simple, you don't," I shrugged.
"I was supposed to be looking after you two. He's going to rip me to shreds," he said miserably.
I sighed. "Alright, look. Once we make sure everything's alright here, you get a head start and get back home before dad and then you just tell him we went wandering around,"

"That's not going to work," Avri said "You still won't be able to explain that," she said nodding at Corbin's cut.
"We'll worry about that later," Corbin said "What's important is that dad doesn't get rid of Nick."

So once everything was cleared, Nick hesitantly made his way back to the Pack and left us behind.
We helped Corbin inside. It was Avri's Pack too so she brought us to the kitchen. The rest of the pack were looking at us a little funny. Corbin in particular.
This one guy who looked like the epitome of a skyscraper strode in. He introduced himself as the Beta of the pack.
"You're Corbin?" He asked me. 
"He wishes," Corbin and I said simultaneously.

The Beta looked confused for a moment then
turned to Corbin "Apologies," he said. "On behalf of the whole Pack, we just want to say thank you for trying to save our Alpha. He sadly took his last breath just a few moments ago but we appreciate your bravery."

Corbin nodded, not looking the Beta in the eye.
The Beta waited for a moment and then said "I was wondering if you had any questions about the -"
Corbin looked up sharply. "No, no, no I don't," he said quickly. "No." He added for emphasis.
The beta nodded. "Very well. Please alert me when you need to be brought home." And he turned and left.

"Weirdo," I muttered.
Avri frowned at me but then she turned to Corbin. "What was that? Question about what?"
"I don't know..." He said lifting his cup of water and drinking it ever so slowly.
"Did he want to ask if you were traumatised by the Alpha's death or something?" I asked.
"Yeah, probably," he muttered.
"Well are you? You better not be, because I can't handle another few years of you giving everyone the silent treatment again,"