Why Me?

Hey all! I apologize for the prolonged absence and appreciate your patience. Life's challenges led to this delay. I'm committed to finishing the Snape and Granger tale. Your understanding means a lot, and I'll resume updates soon, eventually ending the story I began writing in 2019 and left unexpectedly in 2021 one not-so-fine day. Hope you like the way it turns now.

__________________________________________________

Severus Snape sat in the dimly lit Potions classroom, the cold stone walls echoing his internal turmoil. The flickering candlelight cast shadows across his face, revealing the lines etched by years of pain and sacrifice.

"Why me?" he murmured, his voice a low, bitter whisper. The question lingered in the air, unanswered and burdened with the weight of his tumultuous existence.

Memories flooded back, intertwining with the present. The war, his sacrifices, his love for Hermione, and the unexpected return from the clutches of death. The afterlife had granted him a second chance, but it seemed that the hand of Fate was not yet done playing its game.

As he brooded over the recent events, the door to the Potions classroom creaked open. Hermione Granger cautiously entered, her eyes red from tears and her expression a mix of longing and confusion.

Severus glanced up, acknowledging her presence but remaining guarded. The emotional storm within him left him unsure how to face her.

"Why me?" he repeated, this time addressing Hermione. The question now held a new layer of complexity. "Why me? Why am I here again? And more importantly, why would you choose me?"

Hermione approached him, her eyes searching his face for a sign of recognition. "Severus, you can't possibly blame yourself for everything. You've been through so much. You've sacrificed..."

Severus interrupted her with a bitter chuckle. "Sacrifice. Yes, I am well acquainted with the concept. But why me? Why am I here again? What purpose does my existence serve now?"

Hermione sighed, realizing the depth of his internal struggle. She took a seat across from him, her gaze unwavering. "Severus, you've been given a second chance, a chance to live. Maybe there's a reason, a purpose you're meant to fulfill."

He looked at her with a mix of disbelief and vulnerability. "And what purpose would that be, Miss Granger? To watch the world move on without me? To witness the aftermath of a war I never thought I'd survive?"

Hermione reached out, placing her hand on his. "Severus, I believe in you. There's more to you than the shadows you've lived in. And as for why you, why now? Perhaps it's a chance for you to find love, to experience the joy you've been denied for so long."

He studied her face, searching for answers. "Why do you love me? What did I do to deserve such affection?"

Hermione smiled, her eyes reflecting a profound understanding. "Love doesn't always follow a logical path, Severus. It's not about deserving; it's about connection, shared experiences, and finding solace in each other. You've been through darkness, but there's a part of you that deserves happiness."

Severus's gaze softened as he looked into her eyes. "Why me?" he whispered again, this time with a touch of vulnerability, not just confusion.

Hermione squeezed his hand gently. "Because, Severus, you are more than the sum of your mistakes. There's goodness in you, and maybe, just maybe, you were given a second chance so that you could realize that for yourself."

As they sat in the quietude of the Potions classroom, the weight of the question still lingered, but for the first time, Severus felt a glimmer of hope and acceptance in the face of the unknown.

________________________________

Going to end sooner than you expect. For those who are still here reading it since I started writing it, thank you guys and I would be shocked to find you still here, if you could drop comments. See you in the next chapter.