6: her pain

--------------------
AIAH

The sun is already up as the morning has come. Summer's gonna be fetched later by her parents since Jhoanna said they're already on flight after the three day business trip they had so I decided to take a moment to have a bond with my niece.

I walked out of the gate with my phone pressed to my ear, holding Summer's hand tightly. Aki was asleep back in the living room so he wasn't going with us this time.

"Nicollete, I said I'm fine...don't worry. The girls will be here in a few hours," I reassured her as Summer and I strolled down the sidewalk.

Cole had to return to Manila for a new project for three days, and she was already feeling uneasy about leaving us that's why we're on call.

Narinig ko pa siyang napasinghap sa kabilang linya matapos marinig ang pangalan niya kaya napangiti ako dahil batid kong naasar siya.

"Just call me if anything happens atsaka Cole ang itawag mo sa'kin nakakawala ng angas yung Nicollete" She said with a huff in the end, her tone was soft yet firm.

"I will," I replied, "Ipirmi mo yang sarili mo diyan, ayos lang kami dito. We were on call yesterday din kaya huwag kang oa dahil wala pa tayong isang araw na magkahiwalay" I rolled my eyes.

"Kahit na— baka mamaya kung ano ano na namang ginagawa sayo ng kapitbahay mo, iyakin ka pa man din, sinong mag ddry ng tears mo?" May pang aasar sa tinig niya pero rinig ang inis doon.

Natahimik ako dahil sa sinabi niya. "I didn't see her for the past two days" Mahinang lintaya ko.

"Baka busy lang?" She tried to understand although in her voice there was pain kaya I felt guilty so I tried to dodge the upcoming topic.

"Maybe, anyway Summer and I were off for a walk, we gotta go" I said as I also heard from the other line that she was already being called by a staff member.

"Just a second—" She answered the person before she spoke again "I'll call you again later, take care Ailuvs" She mumbled with a soft voice that made me smile.

"Is that disappoinment I hear?" I teased her

"Masisisi mo ba ako?— eh ikaw ang uuwian ko" She sighed that I returned with a giggle.

"Ang clingy mo, take care boss Cole" I said

"You too" She uttered with a faint click, probably stopping herself from smiling.

I shook my head before ending the call and slipping the phone into the pocket of my hoodie.

I gently tightened my grip on Summer’s hand, making sure not to hurt her.

"Let’s go get some ice cream, baby," I said, bending down to her eye level with a smile.

Her eyes sparkled with excitement as she eagerly nodded. "Ice cream? Yes please" She clapped her hands with a wide grin.

I chuckled, lifting her into my arms, and we made our way toward the park.

The warm sun filtered through the trees, casting a soft glow on the benches and playground ahead.

The park was quiet, with only a few early joggers and parents walking their toddlers. We sat down on a wooden bench near the flower beds, I turned to face her.

"Baby, stay here for a minute. Tata will go buy some ice cream," I said softly, planting a kiss on her forehead before heading toward the nearby ice cream truck.