Prologue

Gasping for air, he tried to breath through the sack covering his face.  The stench of blood and sweat mingled with what smelt like excrement assailed his nostrils. Moisture beaded his brows and trickled down his face, pooling around his chin as he tried to see through the inky darkness. Trying desperately to to suppress the shiver of fear that chorused through his body, he continued to kneel feeling the bite of the shackles of steel that bit through his wrist.
He had lost consciousness when the Fae touched his forehead, but when he gained his senses he had been thrown against a hard floor, his knees collapsed beneath him. This place where ever it was not Pretoria. Never had he felt so vulnerable in all his life.  He, a prince feared in his demesne over and above his father, was reduced to a shriveling child. He desperately wanted to stand and face this threat.  Instead his shoulders were slumped like a coward as he waited his fate.
Finally, the sack was pulled from his face. Blinking several times at the dim light his gaze fell upon the grey sandstone before resting on polished black boots that were a foot away from his face. Lifting up his eyes, he stared into a thing of nightmares as his heart hammered against his chest. Blinking again, he could not seem to remove the specter before him. A sharp chin jutted forward, a cruel twist dominated the mouth, and those obsidian eyes carried a murderous intent that would have left anyone shaken from their murderous intent.
This Fae was not like the others.  He stood tall, muscles bulged against his chest and arms, his might spitting out with sheer strength. His hair was shorn exposing the blade like points of his ears adorned with silver caps on the tip. Inky dark Runes dominated his scalp and bled down to his neck disappearing beneath the crisp leather tunic stretching across his taunt chest. His arms were crossed and more runes dotted the bulging flesh, nearly covering every part of his skin. Flashing sharp teeth in what looked like a grin, the Fae continued to stare at him.
Byron clenched his teeth, bowing his head, hoping this nightmare would disappear, but deep down he knew his fate was on the line. Sweat mingled with blood dropped to the floor as he waited. He knew there were others around him, their whimpers echoed around the room. Daring to glance beside him, he caught a flash of grey in the same position as he.
"Are these the only ones?" The guttural  voice came from somewhere in front forcing Byron to look further into the shadowed room when he spied the dias that led to a throne made of metal, perhaps copper. The room was dim, he couldn't see clearly but he could feel the darkness of evil as it permeated around the room. Suppressing the bile that rose, he waited.
"A couple of women and children have been taken to Erinthar for the amusement of Loot. The rest have been brought here to you." The voice was hard and cold as it spoke but it did not come from the one directly in front of Byron.
"Stand!"
The Fae picked Byron up as if he weight nothing and set him on his feet. He could sense the same for the others around him. He came face to face with the dark Fae king who sat on his throne, leaning back as his eyes casually took in their sight.
"Filthy humans! Who speaks for this lot?"
Byron was shoved unceremoniously forward, his foot caught on the step of the dias and he twisted making him crash down on his knees.
"That one is the son of the king of Pretoria."
King Soldar leaned forward, his face rising from the shadows to stare at Byron with obsidian orbs that dance with malice. Atop his head was a circlet made of gold with pikes jutting up like daggers. His long dark hair fell forward. He looked incredibly young for a king said to have lived thousands of years. His pale face was delicately smooth unmarred by runes, almost angelic, deceptive in its beauty.
"Name, boy?" The sound of his voice lashed into the air.
"Byron," he didn't know where he found his voice but it came, scratching against his throat.
"Who are they?" The king pointed his dark long nail behind Byron, yet his eyes remained on the witless prince.
Byron turned to look at the handful of nobles behind him, mostly men that he recognized. The heir to the kingdom of Mullbroke, a couple of nobles from the house of Lagenas and several from the Kindom of Ishtar. He was the only Pretorian. As he ticked of the names and kingdoms to the king, he watched as the Dark Fae's brows rose.
"Who is the heir to Meriadon?" The king asked cocking his head to the side as his eyes roamed the nobles.
"After it was annexed to Pretoria, it has remained under my father's rule." Byron muttered.
"Shame. I was rather fond of King Randir." The kings's eyes fixed on Byron. "Your kingdom seems the most powerful of the lot. We can't have that now can we?" The smirk exposed canines that gleamed in the shadows. "Where have you hidden the fae?"
Byron was stunned at the question. What fae? "I....I...." He stammered unable to answer the question. A wave of dread settled in his heart as he shook his head. "I'm not sure I understand?"sweat continued to trickle down his cheeks, but the king wore an expression of passivity.
"Show this heir what I mean."
The Fae with the runes dragged one of the nobles who whimpered as he was hoisted beside Byron. A shadow loomed from the ceiling before the noble from The Kindom of Lagenas was hoisted upward suspended on a what looked like thick cord made of silk. The cord wrapped around the nobles body, until something from the shadows lurked, it's hairy legs darted forward making the noble scream. Byron could only watch in horror as the giant spider came into view. Opening it jaws it faced the noble who continued to scream. All the other humans held their breath, fearful that if they uttered a sound they would attract the creature.
The spider seemed to be toying with the noble, spitting into its face to trap its mouth.
"Boy as you can see, my pet it hungry. Do you know why your here?"
Byron shook his head, his throat constricted making it difficult to speak. He never thought in all his young life that it would end with him being a meal for a giant spider. All his training for battle had reduced him to this?!
"I'm searching for a Fae, one that happens to be hiding in the human kingdoms. Once agin, where is the Fae?"
Byron swiveling to face the king, swallowed his fear, if he was to survive this, he had to say something. " I have a brother, he's half Mangalese."
"And?"
"He is the son of my father and the Mangalese priestess. The daughter of the king of Mangalene. They may know where the Fae is." Byron just sold his father's consort and half brother out, but if he had to survive this ordeal he would play with the hands of fate. "The priestess is a seer, if there is anyone who can find the Fae, it would be her." Byron had no clue as to the Fae the king referred to, but if he had Jutu and Caspian in his claws there was a possibility he would let them go. He had to trust his wits, it's the only thing he had left.
King Soldar leaned back against the throne rubbing his jaw thoughtfully before frowning at someone beside Byron to his left, forcing him to look. He saw another Fae, this one looked similar to the king except his skin was the color of olive and his hair wasn't a dark as the rest of them.
"Why was this half brother not taken?" The king was clearly annoyed at the Fae beside Byron.
"He might have been missed. I saw no Mangalese in the melee." The voice was cold and firm.
"If the blood has mixed with the human he might have been overlooked." The one with the runes mused.
A fist landed on the arm of the throne, the sound ringing across the room. Clearly the king was not pleased by the slight.
"I've wasted precious time as it is!"There was a deep anger to his voice that rang everywhere. Disappointment edged the glance he cast at the Fae on the the other side of Byron. "I give you one task. One. Task. Useless! Go back and fetch the Mangalese from Pretoria!"
"Father, we have a treaty with the Mangalese, one that is shrouded in a curse." The olive skinned Fae looked undaunted as he spoke. "They cannot be captured, they have to come willingly."
"If I may your highness," Byron spoke bravely trying desperately to gather courage which he lacked. "I know my father, he will send my half brother Caspian to you."
The king clenched his fists.
"Once he comes, so will his mother." Byron knew his father would send Caspian and Jutu would never let him leave on his own.
"Very well, I give you a fortnight human, if this Mangalese is not within my Kindom I will hunt them down myself."
The king waived his hand, the Fae on his left side pulled him abruptly, Byron followed, staggering as he was made to keep up with the pace of the dark fae. But before they left the shadowy room he heard the kings voice.
"Scatter them. I don't want them staying together."
"What about that one?" the Fae with the rune pointed at the dangling noble who was stunned with the spider's poison.
The king raised his eyes to the ceiling "Let her toy with him. He won't be her meal...yet."
Byron knew when the sack was pushed down his head once more, he had bought them time. But was it all worth it? If his fate lay with the dark Fae, his doom was close. At that moment his heart hammered as he thought about his father. If only he had one more chance to see his father. The man had been a good father to him all his life, the thought of not seeing his father again or his wives made him think about the many regrets that would start drumming in his head.