Chapter 3 Knut

Xion was panting from the exertion  of running, they were being chased by a large troll. This was the second time he saw one counting the arena in Pretoria.  They were massive, nothing beat a child's fantasies with the real thing and boy was it angry.
"I told you not to challenge it!" It was Erica who screamed right beside him.
"How could I not when it thought you were it's mate!" Xion argued as they ran deep into the woods.  They weren't just any woods, the trees were massive and the roots were like thick branches that snaked beneath them. He had stumbled many times but thankfully one of them summoned light to guide their path only it wasn't enough. They followed the path of the light but it kept on disappearing. It was Evaline who led them while Havah stayed just behind to fight the troll.
"I could have taken care of it," Erica argued.
"Sure you would have," he bellowed derisively until the light suddenly showed up in front of them.  He saw that Evaline had stopped, and right beside her was Jutu who seemed lost in confusion.
"How do we get passed this?" Caspian was breathing hard as he looked behind him.
"It's warded," Jutu finally said. "This must be the place Havah was saying.  Her friend lives here."
"Great! Don't we need her to call on him?" Captain Jacob seemed to speak the obvious but Havah was clearly still locked in battle for there was no sign of her.
"Now what?" Estelle asked the two women keeping her eyes behind her.
Xion could see the clearing in front of him but barely, it was covered in mist but they could not move forward for it was an invisible wall had kept the, from it. He started pounding at it.
"Save your strength man, it is a wall." Caspian said beside him.
Unsheathing his sword, Xion started slashing but it was like beating something solid, sparks flew as he tried to cut into it. This was utter madness. The ground beneath him started to shake making him loose his balance but Caspian held him up as he leaned against the wall. They were all jerking when Havah alighted from the thicket waving her sword at the creature that was coming for her.
"Can't you just incinerate him," he called out.
"Are you crazy! If I do that the whole troll army would be here in a heartbeat, mortal!" Havah screamed back. "Cover for me," she told Caspian
The men were left to face the gigantic troll as it emerged, each one readied to fight the beast who roared in anger as he eyed them with his obsedian eyes. He stood more than ten feet tall, its face a mask of pure rage as it charged the men. Cem tried to slice into his ranging fist but he was caught of guard and shoved to the ground.
Havah quickly slashed her wrist and smeared her blood on the barier calling out. "Knut hear me old friend," she whispered.
Just as the trolls fist was about to hammer down on Cem it disappeared much to the amazement of the young man. Captain Jacob helped him up while the rest stared warily around them.
"How did it disappear?" Xion stared at the empty space in front of him.
"He didn't we were granted passage into the dwelling place of Knut,"Havah replied, panting.
"Knut?" Caspian asked curiously watching his friend move forward.
"I told you I have a friend who owes me a favor." She sighed.  "Keep you heads bowed and walk forward on my lead," she told them.
Xion stood resolute, he remained standing on his spot watching the rest as they followed Havah, it wasn't until Evaline came beside him and looked into his face that he saw her fear.  He hated to describe his own discomfort but there it was. He was not one to feel vulnerable but at that moment he had no other choice.
He never expected that one day he would consign his life to a Fae but here he was and right beside him stood one. She had been hidden in the guise of a human but she wasn't, and yet the fear in her eyes was a testimony that she felt their emotions.
In all his brief dealings with the Fae he never saw fear cross their expressions.  They were always cocksure, mischievous and cold.  Evaline didn't even look like them instead she could pass for an ordinary human with none of their sharp teeth or pointed ears but he wasn't deceived. To him they were all the same, devious and spiteful.
They stood looking at each other for a moment before she turned her gaze to the ground and walked ahead of him in silence. He had no other choice but to follow reminding himself he was doing his job as a soldier and in service to the crown, to save his friend and the rest of the royals but he wasn't going to bow to the Fae. Never!
The ground beneath him was solid earth, gone were the dried leaves fallen from trees, or monstrous roots that protruded from the ground. Still he readied his sword in case some other form of danger awaited them. It was still dark but he could see around him. Curious he lifted his head slightly and allowed his gaze to roam the vicinity. It was oddly quiet, no sound except for their boots echoed with every footfall. His spine prickled dangerously tightening the grip he had on his sword hilt that rested by his waist. A slight flash came from his right making him tense as he darted a gaze to his right. Could he have imagined it.
Something brushed against his shin making him stop but when he saw the rest were still moving he mentally shook himself and proceeded to follow when something did grip his ankle.
He swiveled about abruptly unsheathing his sword. He heard a whisper of a giggle or was it chattering? He wasn't sure but he certainly didn't imagine the grip on his ankle.
"Stop!" He called out to the rest. They all turned to him their curious faces regarding him. "Did you hear that?" His flesh started to prickle.
"I heard nothing," it was Caspian who spoke.
"Something held my ankle," he told them. He felt it again like a swift brush of wind against his flesh.
"Knut is close," Havah cocked her head to the side, a mocking smile playing on her lips, "that must be one of his pets taken a fancy to you my lord."
A bit of humor that seemed to dampen some of the tension surrounding his comrades was fair enough but Xion wasn't in no mood for games.  His scowl was enough to raise the god of thunder from his deep slumber, coupled with his impatience, was enough to spark his ire.
"Well you can tell them I'm not one to trifle with." Xion replied harshly.
Havah approached him, her eye sharp as she regarded the angry lord. "I'm sure they understand.  They can be um........mischief makers but they are harmless.  Come, let's continue, if they have taken a fancy to you it means they like you. Enjoy the attention pretty lord, it's better than a bite from their sharp teeth because once they do bite, you'll know agony like none other." Havah warned. Turning around she continued to march forward.
Xion cursed inwardly, thinking his life had altered since he met the dark Fae and hoped their acquaintance would be short lived.  He barely took a step forward when he heard the giggling, it seemed the rest of them heard it too for they seemed to looked about them curiously.
"You heard that didn't you?" Xion asked no one in particular.
"What was that?" It was Estelle who asked, her hand going to her sword hilt.
The leaves rustled softly despite the lack of wind, the leaves above them swayed and a soft mist formed around them.
"Well, well it seems I have more than one guest." The voice was deep and came from the shadows around them like an echo when suddenly the mist cleared and there stood a small elf like creature.  But it wasn't quite an elf, it had the features of a troll with a bald head and sharp pointed ears.  It's color was green taking a step toward them using a cane made out of a fallen tree branch.  It wore a dark leather vest and matching trousers, a loose tunic covered its arms. It's eyes were large and round, they dominated his face, nose hooked and lips that were rather small against a round face. It's hair was stark white tied into a que.
Havah sauntered forward standing a few feet away, to everyone's surprise she knelt before the creature and bowed her head low.  It placed its clawed hand on her head and nodded before she rose up.
"Knut, its good to see you again old friend," she murmured gently.
"This is an unexpected visit." He seemed to smile but it appeared like a sneer. "I thought you would be in hiding for some time yet"
"I would have but the unseelie paid the mortal lands an unexpected visit.  They took the royal heirs of each kingdom during an event and we have to retrieve them."she explained.
Knut's gaze roamed around the group before resting his sharp gaze at Evaline and Jutu, then it shifted momentarily on Caspian before finally resting on Xion.
"A strange group of mortals and ...........others. Come, let's break bread and we can discuss this quest." He said.
Two strange animals came forward, they looked like rabbits but they walked on two legs bounding their way toward Xion and circling him making strange noises much to his annoyance.
"It seemed my pets fancy the the mortal." Knut cackled before whistling and the two creatures returned to his side.
A strange light formed around the clearing making the rest of them see what was just a short distance ahead.  It looked like a cottage with smoke coming out from the chimney. He waved for everyone to follow and enter his abode.  Once inside they marvelled at the largeness of it.  The living room was big enough to fit more than twenty guests. There was a fire on the hearth to one side, several couches and a round table.
There was something cooking on the stove by the hearth and the smell made their mouths water.
There was a footstool near the hearth where Knut sat, pointing his stick and gesturing for all to take a seat.
They moved their gear and sat about, the women preferring the couches while the men took the chairs on the round table forming a semi circle around the creature. After introductions were made he turned to Havah.
"Tell me of this.....quest?" He turned to Havah.
She began to recant the events that transpired during the games, every description was vividly accounted for including the experience of King Silas and his request. Everyone remained quiet relieving the harrowing experience most especially Xion who up until that moment clung to his skepticism. Slicing a surreptitious glance at Caspian who sensed his countenance, turned to look his way before Xion shook his head and turned away.
Engaging a dark Fae in combat was like beating ones head against a rock, they were made of solid steel, unbeatable except Havah seemed to know their weakness. The strange runes than ran the length of her arms quivered with every gesture of her hands. He thought he was done with those demonic creatures, but sitting before another such creature made everything seemed surreal.
Back at Fenwick hold, the Fae he had encountered looked nothing like Havah, they were mostly male in form, similar runes dotted their arms, their ears were pointed and they sported long thick hair the color of snow. They had been friendly at first, his parents had always extended courtesies which were carried over by his oldest sister until the day they turned on his people.
He was a young lad when it happened, training with one of them at the request of his parents when the Fae attacked one of his guards. His other guard took the blow that was meant for him while the rest covered him in an attempt to protect him. The memory his escaped eluded him but he managed to do it, running into the keep and bolting the doors.
No one followed him, instead, after that fateful moment, the Fae that had visited disappeared as if they never were, taking a large amount of harvested mushrooms which was their trade. The fields of mushrooms they had grown were destroyed soon after and that ended the trade with Velene.
It wasn't long before he was transferred to the main kingdom of Pretoria to train with prince Byron and Caspian eventually leading the war that would destroy Meriadon.
He felt something hop on his lap jerking slightly he was surprised to find the rabbit like creature sitting on his thighs. It's wasn't heavy, but it stared at him with over large bunny eyes, it's long ears bent as it cocked it head to the side. At a lost with what to do he just sat there warily, transfixed as the creature continued to regard him.
"I see my pet seems to favor the young Lord," the deep voice of Knut echoed through the room in amusement.
"He's irresistible. " Havah mocked from where she sat.
"Don't worry Kali won't bite. She's a good companion." Knut said.
Despite the reassurance Xion was rigidly upright, remaining stealth just in case the creature decided it wanted to sample Xion's juicy flesh.
"Go on pet her head," Knut encouraged, "she likes that."
Xion stared at the elf in disbelief. "As fetching as she may appear, I'd rather keep my hands in tact, " he replied.
"Suit yourself." Knut smiled exposing jagged teeth as he turned his attention back to the rest.
"What I gather from your rather morbid tale, the dark Fae have abducted the royal heirs and are asking for an exchange. It's not surprising, all Fae like to make deals it's a matter of wether you want to believe their sincerity or not. At present I see your left with no choice in the matter. What a pickle!"
"Indeed." Captain Jacob couldn't help himself. He was on edge, the feeling of helplessness did not sit well with him.
"How do you propose to find this Fae heir of the light court? Does he dwell among the humans?" Knut asked Havah.
"What about Vesna?" Havah countered.
"Ah, the errant princess of the Spring court, the one that has been missing for centuries."
"It was rumored among the Fae that she has ties to the heir of the light court. If we retrieve her then we can find the heir."
Knut steepled his claw like hands and leaned forward toward Havah "To retrieve her would churn the wheels of Soldar's destruction. Are you ready to wake her up?"
"What choice do we have? You think once the heir is surrendered to the unseelie they would gladly return the mortals they have abducted? They are being used as pawns in the sick games that only dark Fae know how to play. They won't leave humans alone."Havah replied impatiently
"In that Havah is right. If we don't restore the order to the seelie the dark Fae will keep everyone in captivity and destroy everything. They will enslave the humans." Jutu spoke for the first time
"Mangalese priestess," Knut acknowledged Jutu, "it seems both you and Havah have developed a fondness for the humans that cloud your judgement."
"They won't only come after the humans, the unseelie will continue to enslave everyone to their will and that will finally destroy the balance of power as we know it."Jutu continued.
"There is wisdom in your speech and your are right, the unseelie has been eating up the light with this ceaseless darkness. However you do know the consequences of taking in this perilous task. It's not as simple as retrieving Vesna expecting that with her resurrection king Soldar will be destroyed. Each and everyone of you will have to face your mortality and do what has to be done. Are you ready to do that?"
Knut looked at each and every soul in his humble abode, his eyes touching each and everyone of the volunteers resting his gaze on Evaline before facing Havah.
He heard the grunts from everyone and witnessed some of the reluctant nods "Then your very brave and I commend you all for your bravery. Now that your on solitary soil where exactly are you planning to journey?"
"We head to the citadel" Havah revealed.
"Hmmmm," the elf grunted. " What makes you think you will find what you seek there?" His sharp gaze remained fixed on Havah.
"The relics of Vesna are in Mangalene, I was hoping to regroup here at Irinthar, there are those still loyal to me and once I've settled the team at the citadel I will journey to Mangalene and retrieve Vesna." Havah informed her friend.
"I see." He nodded jumping from his stool he stood. "I think we may need some more wood for the grate.  It can get chilly in these parts," he walked forward standing directly in front of Evaline who appeared to be surprised . He reached out his stubby hand toward her "Come my lady we have to chop some firewood."
Evaline looked about her conscious of all eyes on her before she stood awkwardly and grasped his hand. They walked through the circle toward the door when Knut stopped abruptly causing Evaline to pause in her step looking askance.
Knut turned his gaze to Lord Fenwick "Kali, you may bring your friend along, we will need him."
The rabbit like creature jumped from Xion's lap onto the ground, it looked more like an oversized rodent as it stood on its hind quarters and appeared to be begging. "She won't leave you until you follow my Lord, it's best you come along." With that said, Knut continued to walk pusposefully out of the cottage with Evaline in tow. Xion had no other choice as everyone else seemed to stare at him wryly. With a grunt he stood from the chair and followed after the elf and rabbit like creature who hopped swiftly away from him.
As soon as the door shut behind them the rest of the party looked at Havah for answers.
"What exactly is going on?"
"Who is he?"
"What is he?"
Havah had to raise her hand to silence the group.
"I think it best you start from the beginning, Havah,"Jutu suggested.