Chapter 4 Lessons from an elf

Once outside, Evaline released a soft sigh, the hand she held had a strong grip despite looking frail. For someone who was short and stump he certainly walked fast.
The sky had turned dark but their path was lighted by a school of fireflies that hovered over their heads.  It seemed like an ordinary place not unlike where she lived with Jutu, but the forest was denser. They followed a short path through a clearing, on one side was a well, some large rocks were thrown about casually and before them were several fallen trees. Frankly she had never really chopped wood before, there was always a fresh load in Jutus home but she could always try to chop some.  It could be as difficult as combat training with a sword.
Sensing Xion not far behind, his boots crunching on the grass as he followed them. She was surprised that the elf had chosen her for the task but who was she to argue, he seemed gentle enough. They stopped just before a large tree.
"The last storm left this debris.  I'll need this chopped first."Knut said as he rested both his hands on his cane leaning against it as he looked up at Evaline.
"We'll need axes." Xion pointed out.
"They are on the ground," Knut replied.
Evaline was surprised to find two metal axes appear on the group before her.  Swallowing slowly she turned briefly to Xion who was removing his cloak.  She decided to do the same, resting her cloak and gear on one of the large rocks before returning to retrieve an axe.  Xion was right beside her doing the same.  They glanced at each other briefly before he made his way to the fallen tree.
Evaline turned to search for Knut, who perched himself against one of the rocks, he crossed his legs and waved her on. She had no choice but to follow where Xion stood. The axe didn't feel heavy but the task seemed daunting.
"I'll take the left side, you go toward the right," Xion commanded just like he always did. She followed his lead watching him for a moment.  He lifted his axe and brought it smoothly down on the fallen trunk.
Shrugging her shoulders she did the same. As her axe landed on the trunk, debris of wood few everywhere but every time she looked at Xion he seemed at ease with the task. She on the other hand struggled every time she had to lift it.
They chopped in silence as sweat started trickle down her forehead and back. Xion, she noticed cut up the tree into big logs and once he was done he began chopping each log into quarters.
She was still chopping her logs.
"I sense hostility between the two of you. " Knut's voice came crashing into the silence making Evaline turn his way.
"Hostility ?" She shifted her gaze to Xion who continued to chop."I'm not hostile," she frowned, her muscles starting to ache from the exertion.
"I don't know what your talking about," Xion's tone was clipped.
"Hostility leads to animosity." Knut continued as if he hadn't heard them. "That isn't a good thing most especially since fate has brought you together."
Xion stopped in his task and stared at Evaline for a moment. "I don't believe in fate."
"Chance then?" Knut countered. "Your mother was tired of birthing females, she was worried your father, despite his unwavering loyalty would look elsewhere for one to give him a male heir." This made Xion pause in his task. "When you quickened in her belly she made a journey to the temple of Vesna, one near your land and made an offering."
"What?!" Xion was perturbed by this revelation, swivelling his gaze to the deformed elf. "What offering? There are no temples of Vesna near our demense."
"The only one that existed was destroyed a decade after you were born, but before that she went to it and pledged that if the Fae would hear her and grant a male child he would serve Vesna."
"I have heard of no such pledge." Xion replied in clipped tones. Evaline stopped chopping the wood to watch him.
"Oh you wouldn't," Knut continued. "Vesna was a myth in the mortal lands but a few know she exists and your mother was one of those that knew. Those who worshipped at Vesna's temples were always granted a boon for Vesna is the princess of the spring court, she granted abundance and fertility. She is the bringer of life, and through her the earth shall flourish into summer. After winter life begins again with the coming of spring. A promise to all that death and decay would soon leave and life would rekindle. Such is the magic of the Fae."
Something in what he said pulsed through Evaline. "The bringer of life," she whispered as she turned contemplative eyes toward Xion. She noticed his fingers curled around the axe handle with force. As she stared at it she could feel the level of force he exerted before bringing it down with a thud on the center of a stump. To their surprise it parted into four equal quarters.
Xion took a step back, he had never been able to do that! Not quarter a thick log in one swipe! What was happening.  He could feel her eyes burning into him as his hand shook from the force of his anger.
"All you have to do my lord is look keenly at your reflection."Knut beat his stick against the rock and gave him a mocking smile.
"My mother told me no such thing!" He sneered. Evaline stopped in the act of chopping the wood and truly stared at Xion for the first time.  Although she found him unconventional in his looks she never truly looked until that moment.  His eyes were the color of the coolest blue morning, like chips of ice they stared into anyone.  His perfect features earned him the moniker pretty boy by Havah. Did she sense he was different? And what about the wood?  It split into four equal part, there was no denying the force of his blow had carried enough power. Could he..............?
His mother prayed to the bringer of life for a son, did Vesna grant that boon? At what price?
"As much as you dislike the Fae my lord, your mother pledged your life in the service of the spring court which means you are answering the call of your destiny." Knut said with finality eyeing Xion's wrathful expression with humor.
"Wether you like to agree with me or not my boy, you are one of its protectors. So I suggest you banish this hostility toward the seelie that is one of Vesna's vessels and learn the art of compromise."Knut finished with a grin. "Now I suggest you learn how to chop this wood together because that," he pointed to the quartered logs, "is what you can both achieve if only you surrendered to wisdom of working together." He jumped from the rock down into the ground. "Finish up, for the night grows cold and you only have this one moment to rest before your true adventure begins.  Kali will stay and guard you," he turned to walk away, disappearing into the thicket of the trees.
Xion shook his head. "That crazy elf doesn't know what he's talking about!" Xion muttered distastefully but as he rammed his axe into another log it broke into equal quarters.  When he did it again the same thing happened.
"I don't understand how am I doing this?" He looked at Evaline who seemed as baffled as him.  She had finished chopping her logs but was sure she could not do what he had done. Instead of wasting her time quartering her logs she dragged it against the dirt to Xion.
"I don't know how your doing it but it's best you chop the rest of the logs up, that way we will be done faster," she told him breathlessly setting it up for him to chop. "I don't fancy staying out all night."
She paused in her task to pet Kali, a gentle smile on her face as the bunny's ears lowered and a deep sigh escaped from the creatures lips.
Xion paused as he watched her turn back to drag another log. "I'm not hostile toward you," he mumbled clenching his fists against the axe hilt.
"You could have fooled me. Ever since you discovered I was seelie you haven't pleasant," she retorted sitting on the log to rest her tired body. Some seelie she was, she didn't even know who she was. "I can't even begin to understand what being seelie is all about. At least you know who you are." She wiped her moist brow with the back of her arm and watched as he delivered another perfect blow.
"Are you joking? After listening to that ......creature I'm now expected to be a protector of the spring court. I've heard of nothing so preposterous," he mocked . "Seelie and unseelie are all the same to me , deceitful, ruthless, cunning, backstabbing creatures that derive pleasure from mortal suffering. How can I even protect what I don't respect?!"
Evaline's ire was prickled as his true sentiments were spoken clearly. "And now you've discovered I'm one of these creatures, you expect me to believe your not hostile?"She lashed
"Not to you directly," he continued to chop the logs, "only what you and your kind stand for."
"Isn't that ironic." She sneered. Dragging back another log in a huff.
"Well you haven't realised your full potential yet , but once you do what's to stop you from turning into one of them." He paused turning to look her fully in the face, she was a few feet away from him, dropping the log she had dragged.
"How can you say that when you don't know me!" She exclaimed.
"You claim you don't know yourself either.  Your memories of where you come from are lost what's the guarantee that once you do remember who you truly are you won't turn on us." He drew up the axe and rammed it down the log with such force it broke into many pieces. The force it it jolted them both back. He started breathing heavily dropping the axe to the ground he looked at his gauntleted hands surprised to find them firm he fisted them before turning to Evaline. "I don't ........." he shook his surprise away. "I think that's enough firewood" he declared finally.
She remained silent staring up at him mutinously before she turned to gathered the chopped wood, he followed suit, gathering as much as their arms could carry before turning back to where the cottage stood. There were no words left to speak for she knew where she stood with the Lord.
Inside the cottage the remainder of the group stared at Havah with a multitude of questions she raised her hands to silence them.
"One at a time please," Havah replied, her patience wearing thin. "When I lived in Inrinthar I was free to roam the lands when I chanced upon a group of hybrid elves, they were neither troll or elves, instead they looked like a bit of both. Knut was the offspring of the high lord. They were a tribe of mixed mongrels. They worshipped the gods of the lands, drew strength from it. I spent days, even months with them, learning about who they were. They were treated far beneath their worth which is why they have a tendency to be defensive. A time came when the trolls challenged them for their lands. It was a massacre. By the time I got to the tribe everyone was slaughtered. Knut managed to create a shield to protect himself so they wouldn't find him." She paused recalling the horrific incident. "When I did, he was severely wounded almost to the brink of death. We managed to keep a piece of his land hidden, and after I healed him we buried what was left of his tribe. We warded this place with an impenetrable shield that the trolls won't find it and here he remains, wary of the moment he would be found. With him remains what's left of their traditions."
"If they were a powerful race why couldn't they use their magic to save themselves?" Caspian asked.
"They were ambushed, whoever helped the trolls gave them enough ammunition to cause their defeat. A waste really because their race holds a secret tradition of power that is harvest from within. I've seen them lift large trees from their roots up into the sky. I've witnessed their magic over creatures and the forests. They can bend the elements to their will, but sadly only Knut has survived with this knowledge and I vowed to protect him with my life." Havah concluded.
"Is he suppose to help us? " Erica asked.
"With his power of sight and knowledge of the unseelie, I'm hoping he might but it comes with a price." She stated.
"What price ?" Caspian asked curiously.
"He stays protected and if he grants you the knowledge of his tribe's traditions, that you respect them and pass it to whomever might keep the traditions. Just like the seelie and unseelie, Knut has an immense powers but it's harnessed from within and with this knowledge comes a responsibility to use it for good."
"That's all?" Estelle looked at Erica and shrugged
"It's a responsibility Estelle." Havah reminded.
"I think I could live with that."
"It's not as simple as it seems but once you know of it you must trust that it will work for you. You must abandon your bias and remain true to the elements."Havah said.
"What have we got to loose?" It was captain Jacob who spoke.
"A piece of yourself."Havah replied calmly.
The rest of the party remained silent contemplating her words.
"Shouldn't we go after Lord Fenwick and Evaline" Cem asked restlessly.
"There's no need, they will return soon enough." Havah declared.
Jutu went to the hearth where the couldron continued to boil. Searching around she found some bowls and spoons. "I think he left this here for us. Why don't we prepare the table and ready a meal."
Havah nodded as the rest took their things and dropped them to a corner.
In a few minutes the table was set just in time as Evaline and Xion enetered the cottage bearing the chopped wood. Estelle, Erica and Rufus went to help them with Xion gesturing for his crew to follow him and retrieve the rest of the chopped wood. Havah noticed Knut was not with them, turning to Jutu she nodded her head and left the cottage quietly.