Chapter 15 The Custodian

The bathing room was a cave with a pool of warm water in the center, a slight mist of steam covered the surface dancing like soft clouds against crystal clear water. A maid hovered closed by taking her soiled garments and leaving some fresh ones by a rock. She was about to retrieve Evaline's satchel but Evaline held it firmly she shook her head.
Evaline sunk into the clear water, sighing with pleasure as the water massaged her sore muscles. She closed her eyes enjoying the solitude. Remus had told them they needed to be presented to the custodian of the city after they were clean for hygiene was an important aspect in their domain. Well whatever this domain was at least.
The water felt divine as she sunk her body lower into the pool of water, it was shallow and the floor was smooth. Dunking her head she started massaging her frayed hair feeling the grit and grime released from her scalp. How long had it been since she had a proper bath she didn't quite remember. Resurfacing with her head bobbing  she started lathering her arms when she heard a splash close by. Alert to the sound she looked about her.  She could have sworn she was alone but as her eyes peeled through the mist they widened with surprise as she caught Xion swimming on the other side of the pool his flesh was bare as water glistened against his body.
Embarrassed she tuned away and tried to remain quiet as she sunk lower, she didn't want him to notice her there but for some inexplicable reason her eyes strayed back to his slick body.  Powerful arms ripped with muscles threaded through the water, his broad chest surfacing every now and again.
"Magnificent isn't he, for a mortal." The soft voice startling Evaline from her stupor. Glancing behind, shocked as she spied another woman. Her face was so smooth and supple she didn't look much older than Evaline. Her features were soft, eyes shaped like almonds they tilted upward fringed by the longest lashes she had ever seen, a delicate nose and bow shaped lips complemented her oval shaped face. She had a nice long delicate creamy neck that stood gracefully above her shoulders. Onyx eyes regarded Evaline with curiosity.
"Uhm......" Evaline faltered as she heard the tickle of a delicious laugh.
"Thought you were alone?" The woman lifted the curtain of hair the color of midnight and shoved it around to one side of her shoulder before leaning back against the edge of the pool.
"Yes" Evaline managed to say wrapping her arms against her bent legs.
"Don't worry it's just the three of us for now.  The others have already bathed and if your worried that he can actually see us, well the mist is like a barier of sorts. We can see him but he can't see us." The smile lit the woman's face."Your new here, seelie, but you don't really look like a seelie, what's your name?"
The woman seemed cordial. "Evaline," she replied swallowing slowly.
"Mine is Uma. How did you find this place? Did you drop off from the sky?"
"You could say that.....Uma."Evaline tossed, testing the name against her lips. Checking to see if what Uma told her about not being heard was true, Xion remained immersed in the water oblivious to the women.
"You came with him?" Her eyes shifted back to Xion appraising.  "Did you come here to search for the forgotten Gods?"
"And if we were?" Evaline couldn't help her question.
The woman gave Evaline her full attention, her knowing eyes studying Evaline carefully. "Why?"
Why, now she was in a pickle. How could she explain, Uma was a complete stranger and they were in a place that was shrouded in mystery. Evaline did not know how to play cat and mouse, those games were typical in the court of Pretoria. How she wished she paid closer attention. Instead she could only think of the truth. "We need to reach the Citadel, perhaps there is a way from here."
"Why do you need to go to the citadel?" Uma's sharp gaze was hungry as they roamed her face.
Evaline was completely at a loss. She didn't know if she could trust this stranger who stared at her with the sharpness of a cat. "Our friends are waiting for us there."
"That explains why it's just the two of you. You were separated."Uma nodded knowingly accepting the answer of Evaline. "I think it time you met with the custodian of our land, she will have the answers you seek."
Waving her hand, the maid suddenly reappeared holding out a bath sheet. Evaline waded to the shore, smiling her thanks at the servant whose head was bowed, the rest of her features covered by the cloak she wore.  When she turned, the pool was empty, it was as if Uma had never been there. Surprised she lifted her gaze to the opposite side of the room and found that Xion had a bath sheet wrapped around his trim waist exposing the ripping muscles that surface on his flat abdomen.
Unaware that she watched him, he shook out the wet tendrils of his shoulder length hair and scratched the beard the grew on his chin absently. He padded to an alcove, loosing sight of him she turned to go to her changing area.  The maid remained waiting for her.  She had never been waited upon except the time she was ill, pampering was something she was unaccustomed to, looking at the maid she thought to break the awkward silence.
"What's your name?" She asked
The maid simply shook her head backing a step keeping her head bowed.
"Mine is Evaline, I come from the kingdom of Pretoria."
The maid remained silent waiting until Evaline dropped the towel, gathering her hair she squeezed the moisture out before donning the undergarments that were clean. The maid motioned for her to sit while she braided her hair with deft fingers. She watched as the maid retrieved a gown motioning for Evaline to rise she helped her into the garment the color a light blue sky, the fabric mounded against her flesh like it was made for her, the folds of the skirts cascading around her legs. The surcoat was the same fabric in white lined with soft fur. Her boots had been replaced by a new shiny pair made of leather and fit into her feet like a glove.
Walking to the edge of the pool she saw her reflection through the mist and gasped at the face that stared back at her.  The grime that had caked her skin was washed away, her face was clear as sunshine staring back at her. This all felt surreal, like she was walking in a dream. Pinching her cheeks to reflect some color she turned back to the maid who nodded and pointed for Evaline to follow.
"Where are we going?" She followed the maid through a dim arched corridor before emerging into a marbled hallway that was surrounded by gigantic pillars that lifted to the ceiling fashioned into a huge dome. The hall was fully lit with scones casting a bright glow all around the room.  Remus stood at the center, his smile warm and inviting as he held out his hand.
Smiling her thanks at the maid who bowed and went back through the tunnel, she turned her attention back to Remus and took his offered hand.  He placed her chilly fingers in the crook of his arm his smile continued to glow igniting his eyes.
"You look beautiful." He was watching her in an odd way that made her turn away when she caught and held the gaze of Xion.  He had emerged from another corner of the room, wearing a sleeveless vest that exposed his arms and dark loose pants, his hair was tied in a queue making his face look more chiselled and sharp.  Those eyes that regarded her seemed to thaw as he stood on the other side of Remus.
"I believe we have an appointment with the custodian." He said coldly as his glance flicked to her hand on Remus' arm.
"She expects you." Remus replied demurely walking forward leaving them no choice but to follow, it was only a few feet when they spied a marble Dias raised in front of them. A golden chair came in focus, made of filigree. The gold shone against the sparse light.
Two bare chested men came forward, in between them was a figure cloaked in black, the hood covered most of her face. She glided on the steps of the dias before the figure sat on the throne. The woman crossed her legs a slit formed to reveal the creamy flesh of her thigh. Her bare hands rested on either side of the golden arm chair, her poise regal as she regarding them. Pushing back her hood Evaline gasped in shock when she saw the familiar face of Uma.
"Your........."
"Welcome." Uma flashed a smile. "I am the custodian of this somewhat charming place."
Evaline glanced at Xion who was regarding her with a frown before turning his attention back to the woman on the throne. He bowed gallantly reminding Evaline that she had to exhibit some manners. Bowing before the custodian, they both remained silent as Remus pushed forward until he reached the base of the dias.
"May I present Lord Xion of Pretoria and lady Evaline, the lost seelie,"he bowed after his introductions.
"I've already met the seelie,"she replied staring at Xion with keen interest. "I can see the mortal is noble born. Where exactly do you hail from?"
"I come from the northern part of Pretoria, Fenwick land has belonged to my ancestors for centuries." XIon stated primly.
"According to the seelie, you've lost your way from your friends who are now at the citadel."
"We managed to loose them when we crossed the river of selkies." He continued in an even tone.
Arching her brow Uma studied him from head to foot, her eyes straying to his arms before they lifted to his face. "And you survived the selkies. "she grinned. "That can't be good, they hate loosing a perfect specimen of mortal flesh. The seelie must have been the reason."
"Indeed," Xion smiled without looking at Evaline.
"According to the seelie, you fell into this forgotten city, how?"Uma continued to study Xion intently.
"Lady Evaline, spied something on the surface of the sand, we fell through which is how we came to be here."
"No mortal has dropped in for centuries unless invited, the ones you will encounter are descendants of the early settlers. Neither has a seelie been able to find this place in a long time" she flicked a glance at Evaline. "There must be a reason why the gods chose the both of you to fall into my lap. Curious, what do you know about this land?"
"It disappeared centuries ago." Xion supplied.
"Do you know why it chose to disappear?" She pushed forward curious about his response.
"Not really, no" his response made Evaline glance at him surreptitiously. Why was he being glib,she thought.
Uma sat back. "There are many tales sung about the destruction of this place," she sighed dramatically "The gods fought each other, they simply left, they moved elsewhere. None of them really made any sense but one thing did happen, they left. They decided that it was time to disappear from the memory of all until they needed to come back. They left this glorious kingdom in the hands of a custodian, that would be me. My name is Uma and I have already met your seelie"
The way she said 'your seelie' sounded to Evaline as if she was some pet Xion picked up.  Xion for his part did not correct her which heightened her annoyance but she remained silent waiting.
"This is all as baffling to us as it is you Lady Uma." Xion began the laughter came from the custodians lips.
"I'm not lady Uma, just simply Uma. This isn't my domain however the responsibility in accepting the guardianship of this place has its moments. Tell me, what is it you seek?"
"We need to reach the citadel and regroup with our friends," he continued.
"Why?"
He gifted the custodian and unbelievably charming smile, Evaline never thought he had one. It shifted his features somewhat making him appear boyishly handsome. Was he flirting with her?
"Our friends told us that if we were lost, we should travel through the valley of the forgotten Gods and here we would be able to locate the spires of the citadel."
Uma leaned forward, her eyes sharp. "What are you and your friends doing in in Erinthar?" Her question was blatant.
"The unseelie have taken royal heirs that belong to the mortal lands we need to retrieve them. Erinthar was the closest immortal territory, one of our friends an unseelie used to live there and she suggested we take this route to begin our search." Xion supplied. Evaline released a ragged sigh as she listened.
Uma sat back, she masked her reaction in a stoic expression "She? Who is the unseelie that chose to lead you to this lands?"
"Her name is Havah," he revealed without batting an eye.
"I've never known an unseelie that can be trusted and by mortals. How do you know you can trust this unseelie"
"We have no other choice," he stated flatly. "We were hoping you could help us find the citadel that we may be on our way as swiftly as possible."
"Ah, well then." Uma seemed lost in her own thoughts for a moment before she stood from the throne and glided down the steps to face Xion a smile playing on her lips. "Come, let us share a meal mortal.  You will find our hospitality in this hidden kingdom a reprieve from the trials you have faced, at least until you depart for your journey to the citadel."
She reached out a hand which Xion took and parked at the crook of his arm. Evaline followed completely baffled by the display of charm Xion had exhibited to the custodian. If that was how he behaved when he wanted to be charming then she wondered about his other skills. Shaking her thoughts mentally she followed quietly as they crossed another marble archway that led into a banquet hall.
She stood at the entrance mouth agape at the lavish splendor. It was a circular room littered with graceful columns . Soft multicolored cloth draped every column, the fabric glittered with what look liked gems. There were mats on the floor strewn with pillows, short gilded round tables were scattered everywhere except for the center. It was populated by strange beings, some of them beautiful like Fae with pointed ears and long flowing white hair. There were other beings she could not place, they had different colors of hair they blossomed like flowers. The center of the hall was empty save for a few musicians playing harps, flutes and drums. The music was uplifting as the beings hummed or laughed gregariously.
"The custodian invites you to the main table" Remus escorted Evaline to an alcove situated at the far need of the hall. Their were pillows on the floor and a round short center table filled with an assortment of food. Her stomach began to grumble. Pulling her satchel from behind her she dropped it on the floor beside her and sat on a pillow folding her legs beneath her she accepted the drink one of the serving maids gave her and drank the wine. It had a fruity taste and quenched her thirst.
She spied Xion leaning on his elbows casually as he smiled at the custodian, they seemed lost in some conversation she couldn't make out. Remus remained seated beside her, handing her a plate of bread and nuts. Taking it gratefully she took a bit of the bread and felt her jaws ache as she chewed the food. Closing her eyes briefly she savored the nourishment. Turning her attention to the center of the floor a group of Fae started dancing and laughing seeming oblivious to them. She shrugged, she might as well let down her guard as she continued to eat.