Chapter 11: Words

Her eyes flaming a crimson flame of fury, she flew at us with speed and determination. Her eyes, set on me though, she came closer and I cringed inside as her eyes bulged from her skull.

Sebastian growled beside me and loomed protectively before me. I was still in a state and I couldn't understand why. There was still something missing about Madame Zesta. Back when I was alone with her, she made my head burn and my stomach churn. She possessed me. She had to be some kind of unnatural being because that wasn't just plain old voodoo. She was the reason for my parents death and I think one thousand six hundred and thirty or so years of longing for a reason and being unable to grieve, I was crying for the time I'd missed. They'd still be with me right now. They'd be here if it wasn't for her.

My head snapped up as Sebastian's arm flew to her gut, an eir piercing shriek coming off her cracked lips. She sounded like a banshee. She looked like one too... Maybe that's what she is.

"Tara!" Sebastian roared and it was too late, as his arm pulled tight around her frail waist, she'd slung the liquid in my direction, her blood thirst eyes itching for it to swallow me.

I did what I do best, I ran. At supersonic speed I sped away from the flying liquid. And Although I was running, everything seemed to slow down. Like I could see the particles move inside the hurtling liquid as I sped away. Like I could see her corrupt expression morphing into one of hatred and displeasure as I bolted. Like I could see Sebastian, crying my name out, dragging the sound as if it were the last thing I could see. And his pained expression as she dug her talons into his back.

He drew in a breath, trying to release the pain and his grip tightened around her waist, hurling both of them to the ground.

I thought for a second and then ran into her home. There had to be some kind of clue of what she was.

Keep her there. Kill her. Do whatever. I'm going to find out what she is.

Please be careful Tara. Good luck.

I should be telling you that, not the other way around! I screamed in my brain, shaking my head as I entered, her foul stench filling my nose. Right Tara. How would you go about finding out who she is.

I headed for a dimly lit room hidden by a fly curtain. Entering with my arm shielding my nose, I looked around.

A beat up mattress with fluff and springs hanging out of it lay in the corner with a ratty grey blanket strewn across the top. A white pillow that had seen better days was at the head of the mattress and the foot end of the bed was detailed with brown and other coloured stains. She wore shoes to bed. Or had incredibly dirty feet. Most likely the latter.

Papers were flung across a wooden chest in the corner and I came to rest my eyes on the sheets, which had many family trees on them. Sebastian had mine and his, so after sifting through them to see if there were any different files, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't finding out about her banshee habits there.

I turned and screamed at the image before me. On a real human skull, hung earrings and strange beads on chains. Next to that lay a small pocket knife and a sinister looking eye. A jar of toe nails sat to the left, next to a beat up bottle of perfume. To the left of the skull lay a gun. It was unloaded. But there had to be bullets somewhere.

I next went to the wardrobe. But there were no clothes so the beat up rags she was wearing were her only ones. I shuddered at the thought and my skin crawled at the thought of how dirty she was. I cringed as I turned over a box at the bottom and a black goo slopped of the bottom. Nope, there weren't clothes, just bottles and bottles of strange liquids. Her potions, I take it.