Chapter 15: Calm Storm

I watched in horror but Sebastian kept his cool, rushing after her in a flash of cool air, flowing like the breeze to catch the tumbling leaf. I sped to the edge, peering over just in time to see Sebastian grab the girl and together they plummeted to safety.

You may not think 'plumeting' is very safe but in mine and Sebastian's case it's true.

I jumped down after them, landing with ease on my feet.

When I raised my head I saw Sebastisn set the girl down and check for injuries. But she wasn't thankful, oh no, she just scowled.

'What the hell did you do that for?' She howled, clenching her fists into tight knots.

'Well it's a little thing called saving your life' Sebastian bit back, getting annoyed for the first time with the girl.

I wanted to say something but decided it was best not to. Although standibg there like an idiot wasn't the best option either.

'And who are you?' She turns to me, an expectant tone in her voice.

When I don't answer because I have no relevance in this situation she screams, throwing her hands in the air.

'Why are you here?' She yells, gritting her teeth.

'You were about to die.' Sebastian answers easily, shrugging a little.

'So? How did you know that?'

'We saw you,' he lied 'standing on the edge of the cliff.'

'But I didn't see you.' her voice shook, she was anxious. I took this moment to look into the control box, because her mechanism wasn't working properly.

How did they see me? Even her thoughts told me she was incredibly anxious. I checked everywhere. How could he do this, this was what I wanted. Why take the only thing I want away. Why take him away?

'Who was taken away?' I asked softly and at first I thought she didn't hear me.

Her head slowly lifts so it's level with mine. 'What did you just say?' Her persona was angry but the subtext of her words however were incredibly scared and nervous.

How does she know?

'Because I can hear you.' Again I answer softly and I notice Sebastian watching the exchange with a hopefull gleam in his eyes.

Did I say all of that out loud?

'No you didn't.' I spoke, looking into her eyes. The wall she had been building was momentarily shattered as the strong will in her eyes disappeared and I saw the fear. But this time it was fear of me.

'Are you?' She paused to step hesitantly back. 'Are you reading my mind?'

Yes I am. I thought, closing my eyes so I could concentrate in her cells.

'W-wh-wha-what?' She stuttered, stumbling back and clutching her arms.

I checked Sebastian and he nodded It may be scary but keep going, I think it might be slowly working.

Okay, I answered Sebastian and we both turned our attention back to her.

You can trust me, I told her mind. Just relax.

When she didn't visibly or emotionally calm I worked on her inner emotions, breathing calmly and concentrating only on her, until she calmed down

Her shoulders visibly relaxed and her eyes weren't as wild so I continued.

Better? She nodded and I smiled, mentally dustibg my gands so they both didn't see.

'What's your name?' I asked when I knew her emotions were stable.