Now

Liliana's POV:

I awoke gasping for air, hoping that my hazy memory of last night was just a dream. Looking around, I realized it wasn't. I was living a nightmare.

I sat up in a large, probably queen-sized, bed with a soft white comforter. The white sheets underneath it were just as soft. The room around me was nice, furnished with expensive furniture, I'm sure. My head was pounding as I sat, looking around. Someone changed me. I wasn't in my red dress anymore. I was in a t-shirt and leggings. A woman's t-shirt.

"Oh, good, you're up," a woman spoke at my side, offering a small container with two pills. "Here, it will help with the headache."

I looked the woman over with skeptical eyes. She had tan skin, dark brown hair, and bright green eyes. Almost familiar green eyes. She was young, probably my age. "Don't worry. They're not here to poison you. It's just to help with your head. You have a light concussion from your fall, but you'll be okay in a few days."

"I'm fine, thank you," I murmured, falling back against the pillow beneath me. I'd rather deal with my aching head than give in to the people holding me here until they can sell me back to my father.

The woman sighed, "Everyone is downstairs if you need anything."

I waited until she left before reaching for the remote off the bedside table and flicking on the TV. I chose a channel with the best selection of movies for the day, leaving it on as I fell in and out of consciousness. Maybe it was the concussion, but I felt exhausted every time I woke up again. My pounding head wasn't helping anything either. My only solace was sleep.

After hours of watching movies, I carefully climbed from the bed, making my way to the bathroom. I caught a glimpse of what I looked like in the mirror under the light of the bathroom. Damn, I looked horrible. Dark circles lined my eyes. A large purple bruise lined my cheek next to an already healing busted lip. Then, it occurred to me that I had stitches in the arm that the little bitch who pushed me for answers cut.

Annoyed as I left the bathroom, I finally decided to give in to my ever-so-growling stomach. I needed to eat, no matter how much I hated being here. I strolled towards the sound of voices, climbing down the white marble steps at a turtle's pace.

I followed the voices until I eventually ran into the kitchen, where they were originating. Walking in, I saw the woman from before sitting at a barstool and a man at her side, talking happily with her with a smile on his face. Wait a minute; I knew that face.

"You?" I asked, drawing them both from their conversation.

The woman laughed at his side before he spoke, "Liliana, how are you this evening?"

"How am I?" I growled. "How am I? Let's see. I was held prisoner last night while some blonde bitch pushed me into revealing my true family heritage. Which has now led me to be held here until Andrea Vitale decides it's fitting to sell me back to my father. Who will likely kill me for running from the family or forget that and marry me off to the highest person in power he can find. Not to mention, the one friend I thought I had from work is now here, where I'm being held. Meaning you're most likely in one of his top ranks. So, you tell me, how am I doing?"

"Actually, I'm second in command. Also, the best friend," Armin chimed.

My hands flew up as a disbelieving chuckle left my mouth. The woman next to him hit his side, murmuring something like, "Not the point," under her breath.

"Unbelievable," I gripped the bridge of my nose. My head was still pounding from not taking those pills earlier. "I'm going back upstairs."

"You should eat something!" a voice called.