Chapter 19: Same Old, Same Old

Sorry for the delay. :) 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“KIM!” A yell interrupted us. Why dude? We’re having a moment here – what?!
I had turned to look and saw a pair of dark eyes looking back at me. A grin plastered on her face, was none other than my high school bestie, Rebecca Black!

“Rebecca?” I asked for confirmation as I slowly stood up.

“Yes!” She squealed and threw herself at me, almost knocking me over.

“Ohmygosh!” We whisper-yelled in each other’s ears. We pulled away and took a good look at one another, beaming and exchanging another quick hug. It was like being reunited with a lost sister, and I couldn’t be happier to see her again.

“I missed you.” She told me, as tears welled in her eyes.

“Aw, don’t cry, Becs. I missed you too!” I said giving her another tight hug.

“How are you?” I asked

“Same old, same old.” She said.

“Uhh, I’m here?” Kendall asked. He looked shocked.

“Who’s the hottie?” Rebecca asked.

“It’s Kendall!” I exclaimed.

“Kendall?” She asked.

“Becs!” He laughed, hugging her.

“You two are still together?” She asked, looking from him to me. “How? I mean –“ But Kendall held up his hand and cut her off. “Long story short,” He said. “It’s our first date.”

“Aw, that’s great!” She gushed.

“Who are you here with?” I asked her.

“Oh,” She looked at the guy who sat behind her, unnoticed by any of us. “My fiancé, Cole McGarth.” She smiled. Kendall and Cole shook hands. “Nice to meet you.” Then he turned to me. “I’ll be back.” He said. “Bill.” I nodded.

I held out my phone to Rebecca. “Number, Mrs. McGarth.” I smirked. She blushed and saved her number in my contacts.

“You’re telling me all about that later, Schmidt.” She said. My turn to blush.

“Rebecca, please –”

“No, Kim. You ‘please’ you guys are together again. Isn’t that all you wanted? To spend your life with him?” She asked.

“I wanted that, but him?” I asked, my heart dropping light a stone in the pit of my stomach. What if something comes between us again? What if we have to leave each other again? No, he promised. He promised before. Can you not?!

“Ba- Kim?” He was back. Haha, he ain’t calling you ‘baby’. Maybe he isn’t sure if he’s allowed to yet? The same way he’s not sure about you? Shut the hell up, you stupid fucked-up asshole.

“Yes?”

“Let’s go?” He asked. I smiled and nodded. “You’re calling.” I added to Rebecca. Taking Kendall’s arm, we walked out. The cool breeze hit my face, and my exposed legs, making me shiver. I should’ve worn my sweater.

“Cold?” Kendall asked, his eyes reflecting the full moon in the sky above. “A little.” I answered. He put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. I did feel a little warmer. I put my arm around his back and rested my head on his shoulder as we walked to the car. He opened the door for me. Again, gentleman! He closed the door and then got in himself.

He ignited the engine and began to drive. Not back to my place, but he stopped outside a park.

Why are we here?