Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I can't remember the last time I've had so much fun. Even though I have a rotten, broken arm I'm able to enjoy myself on the ride. Half of the reason I'm so happy is because I'm on a horse. Even if my leg was cut off, and I was bleeding to death, if I was sitting on a horse, I'd be happy. Wait...that's a bad example. If my leg was cut off and I was bleeding to death, I'd probably be crying in pain, like every other normal human being, regardless if I was on a horse or not. So forget that. I guess that being with horses just kinda give me a warm glow, that makes me feel so happy and wholesome.

The other reason is Jenny, and the fact that I have someone riding with me, that is not related. I never thought I'd find someone who'd want to. In my school there are two groups: A) the ones who hate horses aka the ones who torment me for riding, and, B) the snobs who ride but are too good for me and my so called "un professional" quarter horses. They're the type of girls (and on some occasion boys) who, unless you have a big fancy Hanoverian or thoroughbred, jump on the show circuit and spend money they don't have on expensive clothes, turn girls like me (aka blue jeans t-shirts cow roundup) into a social pariah.

Since spreading rumours is just so easy, that's what happened. Two years ago, when I walked down the halls, I could see people giving me weird looks like I was some sort of freak that I belonged in a institution for the insane. Two days later, I was pulled into the principals office, and everything was explained. A clique of girls had said some pretty nasty thing about me, and somehow, they had gotten everyone to believe it. A week later, everything was set straight. The rumours had been extinguished, but it was too late. My reputation had been ruined, and I doubted I'd ever get it back.

Jenny looked at me, and I realized it had been a long time since I last talked. "Are you ok, Robin?"

"I'm sorry," I smile tightly, and wince as the pain in my arm grows slightly with every jolt, "I do this weird thing where I zone out, and then when people talk to me, I don't hear, so they like...think I'm deaf or something. It also makes me feel stupid, cause I always miss what other people say, and so I have to ask what they're talking about like, a million times," I realize I'm rambling, "sorry. That doesn't make sense."

Jenny waves her hand, disregarding my unnecessary apology. "That's ok, I do it too."

"Now, is that sincere?" I ask, "or just something you're saying to be...nice?"

"Well, I'm always nice," Jenny laughs.

"I hope so," I sigh, "I'm pretty lucky to meet you. It's been two years since I've actually had a real friend. The ones before that? I thought they were my friends, but it turns out that they were lying, cheating, scandalous bit-"

"Now, now, let's be nice," Jenny says in a scolding tone, then mentions that we should get back to the stable soon, "don't want to be late and get in trouble."

"Have we really been out that long?" I look up at the sky, and see that it's bright blue, without a single trace of pink, orange or purple, that would hint at the arrival of sundown.

"It appears to be," Jenny flashes me her watch, and I get a glimpse of the time.

"Wow, you're right," with my good arm, I neck rein Wren back towards the stable, and I immediately I can feel an extra spring come to life in Wren's stride. I look at Warbler and see that he too, looks extra excited. His neck is raised higher, and he's prancing ever so slightly, with his ears pricked forward.

"Well I'm glad at least some of us are happy about going home," Jenny rolls her eyes, "cause if if was up to me, I'd never get my butt off the saddle."