Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

"So, how do you like the idea?" my mom asks, to my awe-struck face.

"Like it? I hate it! Some random kids riding our horses? No way!" I say. The idea my parents have just told my brother, sister and I, is that they want to open a riding school for western riders.

"So? Have you seen any other western riding schools in the area?" my dad asks.

"No, but kids can just ride their own horses." I retort.

"What if they don't have a horse?" my mom asks.

"We'll, they can get one! Our horses are valuable mom. Do you really want an inexperienced kid riding them?" my sister asks, clearly hating the idea. Finally, she's on my side for once.

"That is why, we will purchase some less "valuable" horses that are trained western." my mom tells us, a smile on her face. The kids won't be riding our quarter horses? Then let them come!

"Oh, well that could work... sure." I say. This also means horse shopping. Which I love.

"Good. What about you two?" she asks my brother and sister. Why bother? She knows they'll say yes, now that new horses are on the horizon.

"Of course!" Kaya says excitedly "how many horses can we get?" she asks.

"I was thinking, maybe 7 to start. We have that empty barn on the other side of the property, and it would be perfect. We have the three extra arenas as well. Plus the trails," mom says "what about you Riley?" she asks my five year old brother who so far, hasn't said a single word during the whole conversation.

"If we buy a palomino, can we name it sponge bob?" he asks. Kaya looks at him strangely, and I almost choke on my spaghetti laughing. Mom hides a smile.

"Maybe. So, I gather it's OK with all of you?" she asks.

"Yes!" we all cry on unison.

"Great. Now, Kaya and Robin, you guys could help teach if you like."

"Cool! I'd love to." I say. Teaching kids how to ride would be a dream come true. Kaya shrugs in agreement as well.

"We'll clean up the barn tomorrow," dad says "now all of you up to bed!"

The next day, we work hard fixing the barn. We scrub the stalls with disinfectant, give them a fresh coat of white paint, polish the un-inscribed name plates, put a water bucket in each stall and clean up everything else. All of it takes us to dinner time, which means that none of the horses where worked.

"When can we look for horses?" Riley asks, as he spreads some wood chips on the floor of one of the stalls.

"How about... tomorrow?" dad asks. "there's a sale on the Telkwa High Road that we could visit."

"Sounds good!" I smile. Yes! Seven new horses. I can't wait. "can we rename them?" I ask. I love naming horses.

"That costs money Robin." my dad says.

"No, I mean, can we change their barn names?"

"Oh, sure." dad says.

The next day, I spring out of bed, dress in blue jeans, a light purple tank top, and western boots.

"Sale starts in five hours!" I yell, running through the house. Soon, everyone is up, the horses are fed, our ten horse trailer is hooked up to my dads Chevy, and we are in our way to the auction. When we pull into the yard, I hop out of the truck, and the smell of horses fills my nose. I love the smell of horses. If they made a horse scented perfume, I'd buy every single bottle. My mom hands each my sister and I a book of the auction with the info of all the horses, and a pen.

"I want you to look at any horses in stables D and E that look good, and circle your top three favorites," then she gives us the criteria "i want nothing bigger than 15hh. No stallions, but obviously you two already know that. Stick to western trained horses. There are a few rings. Ask for the horse you like to be brought out. Play with it for a bit, saddle it, bridle him. Ride him a bit. You two know the rest. Now, go on!"

Kaya and I head off for stable D. The first horse is a sorrel Haflinger mare around 13 hands. I look at the registration papers on the stall door. Her name is Austria. She's gorgeous, but rides English. To bad. The next three, a bay cob gelding, a black morgan gelding and then a bay hackney gelding. All English.

"See any?" I ask Kaya, who is making her way down the other side of the stable.

"Yep. This one looks promising. Come and take a look." I walk over and see that Kaya is looking at a sorrel quarter horse mare, who looks to be around 14.3hh. I look at her papers, and see that she named Faithful Renegade. She's also 10 years old. And trained western. Her asking price is $2500.

"She looks great! Let's ask if we can play around with her in a pen." I say. We get the owners permission, then halter her and take her out into a pen made out of steel panels. First, we practice leading her around at a walk and trot. She does it all fine. Then we put a saddle on her back, tighten the girth, get on her, walk her, trot and canter her. And she doesn't even blink. We try riding her bareback, and she has wondrously smooth gaits. She barely moves. We try spooking her, but nothing will faze her.

"Circle her for sure." Kaya says, but I already have.

"I love her. Let's call mom. She'll will be absolutely perfect!" I say in delight. I love Rene, what I've decided to call her, already.

"No. Not yet," Kaya says "there are still so many horses to look at." we lead Rene back into the stable, thank the owner, and move on to the next horse. After an hour we have circled three horses; Rene, a blue roan quarter horse gelding named Harley (he is unregistered), and a slender bay quarter horse mare named Magic Word.

"NOW we can call mom," Kaya whips out her LG Cell and calls mom's number. "Hey mom! We found three horses... yep, they're perfect!... Ok... yep, meet you at the entrance of the stable!" Kaya hangs up and slips the phone back into her pocket.

"She comin?"

"Yeah. They already bought a horse she said. Riley picked it."

"Hey guys!" my mom rushes over with Riley.

"Hi mom! You guys already found a horse?" I say.

"Yeah!" Riley pipes up. "Her name is Sage. She's a chestnut quarter horse."

"She sounds wonderful," I smile. "want to come see the horses Kaya and I picked out?"

"Uh-hu." he nods. Kaya and I lead mom and Riley over to Rene first.

"She's very nice Robin," my mom nods in approval, and picks up one of her hoofs. "They're a little bit long but I'll ring the farrier tonight and get him to trim them up."

"Does that mean we can get her?" Kaya asks excited.

"Well, did she do well out in the ring?"

"Yeah! She was perfect. She never misbehaved or caused trouble. She had wonderful gaits, and nice transitions." I gush.

"I trust you two," she gently places Rene's hoof back on the ground. "She'll be perfect."