Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

*Four Weeks Later*

Almost everyone arrives for the schooling show at the exact same time. I'm almost afraid of being run over in the bustle of everyone rushing about from stall to stall, cleaning tack and grooming horses. Luckily, I'm able to sit out of the helping as the younger kids have gotten the hang of doing everything by themselves which is a huge relief, because my work load has been lessened, but I have to admit that I do miss my time with Kenny.

He seems to be fine with Harley though, and I wouldn't trust any other horse than the big blue roan to carry such a sweet boy. Thank God the abscess on his hoof healed in time for our home made show or we wouldn't have enough horses to support the number of students! We were almost forced to add Karma to our program, much to Kaya's dismay, but then she was sent over to the Hanovarian stud farm, and was able to get out of it.

Over the past month, four new riders have joined our program, so our fun show day planned will be a lot more fun! The first to sign up was Jesse Olson. He's nice, but a little cumbersome and uncoordinated. I feel a little bad for Hecate, the mare I fell off of so long ago, as Jesse has a nasty habit of jabbing at the bit and pulling on her mouth. It's a good thing her mouth is so hard, and yes, I did mange to get her to let me put the hard metal bit in between her teeth. It's a good thing that getting her over that problem was so easy.

The second new rider, Reina Hart, I could personally do without. Tall, stuck up and snobbish the blonde teenager has a habit of setting my teeth on edge with the way she

treats her poor horse. I do admit she is an extremely talented rider, but I can't say that she has a very good character, which can rub off on your horse. Reina doesn't have time for anyone, and always thinks she's above everyone else. Kaya appreciates her though, as they are the same age, and Reina is also into events such as dressage and cross country, so they've been talking about that non stop over the past little while.

Her mare, a tall chestnut quarter horse/thoroughbred cross, is named Juliet's Era and is sweet as can be. Era, her barn name, is always the first horse to greet me when I enter the stable. Too bad she's stuck with a witch like Reina. She's always booting her, yanking her mouth and never praises her, even on her best days. It's not the 16hh mare's fault though, if you consider the fact that she's just 5 years old, and can do not only dressage moves Karma has not yet mastered, but has spectacular cow sense. We practiced cutting the other day, and she was so in tune with the cows, it was almost as if she knew where the cows were going to go before they did themselves! If only we had a horse like that in our breeding selection.

Teanna Rayell is our newest addition, and joined just two weeks ago. She's got beautiful, long, black hair that comes down to her waist and smooth, chocolate coloured skin. She has a wonderful personality, and seems to read her horse through the saddle. She's on her own horse, Timbit, a lovely liver chestnut gelding. He doesn't have a show name, because like Havoc, he was a rescue.

Apparently he got his name because the first time he got to their place, he got out of his field and ran up to their house. I suppose they have a deck that's easy to get upon, so it must be low to the ground or something like that because he climbed into it, and then proceeded to force open the kitchen window. There was a full box of Timbits sitting on the counter, right in front of the window and he picked it up, and trotted off. By the time they caught him, only one Timbit was left. I laughed pretty hard when Teanna told me the story.

Last but not least is Amanda Stalz, a petite, find boned girl my age with blazing red hair and emerald green eyes. When she first arrived, Amanda was really quite shy, but now that she's been here for a few weeks she's begun to slightly open up, and has been demonstrating more and more in the lessons. I think she's a little fragile though. Not in the emotional way, but more towards her health, because she's been pulled out of lessons by her parents that are much to "strenuous" for a girl like her.