Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

"Thank you so much!" Rene's owner kisses her goodbye, as my mom signs the bill of sale. "Take good care of her Ok?"

"We wouldn't do anything but that." my mom reassures Rene's previous owner. She says her last goodbye's, then we collect her registration papers and bring Rene out to the trailer. She loads nicely, without making to much of a fuss.

I am able to get a good look at Sage, who is beautiful. She had long slender legs, and a short but wide back. Her head is small, and her large brown eyes shine brightly. She has three white socks, and a blaze. She sniffs Rene over the white metal separator. Rene pins her ears back, but doesn't try to nip.

"Good choice Riley!" Kaya says, admiring Sage. Riley's face lights up, and he smiles proudly.

"Mom, come see the other two Kaya and I picked out!" I close the trailer door, then grab my mom's hand and eagerly drag her over to Harley's stall. "Isn't he gorgeous?"

"He is very nice," my mom nods. "How much is being sold for?"

"Only a thousand I think," my mom frowns. "I know mom. I thought that that was way to cheap at first, and that something must be wrong with him, but when Kaya and I took him out to the ring, he was really well behaved." I explain.

"How old is he?" my mom asks.

"I don't know. I forgot to ask his owner." Mom walks over to an old man two stalls away to ask him if he knows who is selling Harley.

"Yep. She went to get a coffee. Should be back in just a few moments." Mom thanks him then comes back to us.

"Just wait a bit," she strokes Harley's pink nose. "He'll be back soon." After about five minutes of waiting, a tall woman walks over.

"Hello there! Are you interested in Harley?" she asks.

"Yes actually," mom says. "my daughters tried him out earlier."

"I think I remember them. A lot of people worked with him today."

"Well we really want to buy him, but need to know his age. It seemed weird that such a wonderful horse is being sold for so little. We thought it might be because he's old."

"No, not old, he's only ten," the lady shakes her head. "My daughter outgrew him, and she just wants him to go to a nice home."

"Well that makes sense," my mom smiles. "I think we'll take him."

"Great. Harley is great with kids. He loves them in fact!" the lady tells us.

" That's perfect then. We are hoping to use him as a lesson horse if all goes well." my mom explains.

"He will love that!" the lady smiles, and pulls out a bill of sale. My mom writes out the check, and then signs the bill of sale. "thank you so much!"

"No, thank you." my mom shakes her hand, and we halter Harley and bring him over to the trailer as well. Harley resists being trailered, but we eventually get him inside.

"I can't believe we have three new horses!" I smile. The other mare, Magic Word will,be the last perfect touch.

"You guys ready to go home?" mom asks.

"What do you mean? Kaya and I chose one last horse!" I find myself whining.

"We have enough for today Robin. I've spent $5000 today on horses already, ok? That money we made from our last big sale won't last long." she ushers us all into the truck. We sigh, and hop in.

"Where's dad?" Kaya asks, as she does up her seatbelt.

"He got a ride home with some of his buddies abut an hour ago." Mom tells us, and carefully drives out onto the highway.

"Oh."

"I'm sure he'll love the horses you guys chose." Mom says, and turns on the radio. Country music pours out of the speakers. I lean back in my seat and close my eyes, imagining what comes next.

"What'll I get to teach?" I ask. Maybe mom will let me get the beginners started.

"Dad and I were talking about that last night. We think you are to young to start teaching the actual riding-"

"What!?" I interrupt. "Mom! I want to teach kids to ride."

"You're to young Robin. In a few years you can. Now, as I was saying before you interrupted me, Dad and I thought you could teach kids about stable management, how to tack up, how to take care of your horse. That sort of thing."

"I guess that would be ok." I say. Oh well. It's better than nothing.

"I have an idea!" Kaya suddenly blurts out. "You know how you were saying that you didn't want to spend to much more money on horses?" she asks Mom.

"I do. What's your idea?"

"Well what if we adopted a horse from the SPCA?" Kaya asks. "the adoption fees aren't to big."

"Hmmm..." Mom slowly nods her head. "I think that's a great idea! Do you think they'd have horses there suitable for young children though? If so, we'll go tomorrow and take a look at the horses there." Yes! We pull into the driveway, and our dad steps out of the door to greet us.

"Let's see these lovely horses you four bought." he says, and opens the trailer door, as we all jump out of the truck. Dad leads them out one by one until the trailer is empty. "wow! These guys are lovely."

"I picked out Sage!" Riley says happily.

"Which one is that Rye Guy?" dad asks. Riley points to her. "you picked her out? Good eye buddy!" Dad approves of Rene and Harley as well.

"We only bought three today, but tomorrow we're going to the SPCA and we might adopt a horse." Kaya explains.

"That's a good idea." Dad smiles. "The SPCA always has a good horse or two." Dad takes Sage's lead ripe, I take Rene's and Kaya takes Harley's. We lead them over to the stable to settle them in their new stalls.

"I think they'll be happy here." Kaya says, as she unclips the lead rope from Harley's halter.

"I think so to." I agree. Rene paws at the soft cedar wood chips that beds her stall, and puts her head down to sniff at it.

"When will we open up the stable?" Kaya asks, and strokes Harley's neck.

"In a month maybe. We still have lots of work to do." My dad says. I sigh. It'll be a long month.