Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

Eagerly, Kenny scrambles up into the saddle with some much needed assistance from me. I help him even out his reins, adjust his stirrups, and then take a step back and walk out of the ring. It's up to my mom who is teaching the lesson from here.

"Ok everyone!" she claps her hands, and surveys the kids. "Here we ate, about start your first lesson. Now. You will be evaluated into your level groups after a few lessons. Afterwards, if you would like private lessons, we will discuss that after! So, we will start. Everyone take your right rein, and pull it lightly to the right, do that your horse move to the rail...Andy...lightly, that's it!" All the kids smile as they feel the horse move beneath them.

"This is fun!" Daisy squeals. Mom watched everyone intently.

"Kenny, you need to keep your back straight, ok? And Andy, lighten up on the reins...yeah, don't hold them so tight. Daisy, you look good, but you got to stick those heels down! Looking good Jenny."

Jenny smiles at sits up a little straighter in the saddle. I train my eyes on Loni. Her elbows are sticking out a bit. "Loni! Tuck in your elbows!" I yell out.

Loni nods and shoves her elbows towards her body and a bit more, and glances at me for approval. I shoot her a thumbs up. The kids are doing remarkably well, considering that for most of them, this is their first time on a horse. Daisy's confidence wavers a little bit, when Sage jumps at something, but after a few words of encouragement from my mom, she picks the reins back up, and moves Sage forward.

I feel so proud of my mom as I watch her educate the kids. And I can tell that shes enjoying it too. Her face lights up as Andy masters the perfect position...back straight, heels down, elbows tucked it, head high, fists closed tightly over the reins.

"You look awesome Andy!" his Mom calls out. Andy beams, and looks at her with a happy grin planted permanently on his face. Well...for the moment.

I bite my lip as Daisy starts to slide. Immediately, I hop over the low fence, and am prepared to rush to her aid, but she rights herself right away. "Thanks," she blushes.

Mom works with them on turning and proper positions off a bit. When we reach the hour mark, mom waves them into the centre. "Ok kids! That was an amazing first lesson! You all did exceptionally well for your first time. You all had fantastic posture, although you must remember to keep straight backs! I'd like you to write a small paper on how to properly groom your horse. At the next lesson, I want you to hand it in, and you'll get graded on it. For the younger riders, you can get an adult or older sibling to help you," Mom tells them all. "Now, head back with your partner, and take care of your horses! Then, you'll need to fill up the water buckets, and help with cleaning out stalls.

Most of the kids look surprisingly happy by this news. "I wish we could keep riding!" Kenny exclaims, as he rides over to me, the reins gripped firmly in his small hands.

"Yeah?" I smile and show him how to dismount. "Well. You get to come back in a few days, and do it all again! Come one, let's go take care of Harley, ok?"

Kenny hops along beside me and we go back to the stall. "Can I take off the saddle?"

"Yep," with my instruction, Kenny unties the girth, and undoes the buckle on the back cinch and breast collar. I have to help him pull it off, but he does a very good job of it. "Now, you gently pull the crown piece over his ears, and let the horse spit out the bit. If it clunks against his teeth, it really hurts, so you have to be gentle." I demonstrate.

"You're really good at this," Kenny looks up at me with admiration in his eyes. "Did it take you a long time to learn?"

"I'm still learning stuff every day," I smile, and squeeze his shoulder. "Ok, bring this tack outside the stall, and I'll start on brushing him, ok?"