Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Get up. You know what I'm here for."

Iris immediately woke at Amos' voice. He was standing by her bedroom door, a familiar look in his face. He was also holding the tiny notebook. That can only mean one thing; her first match in a while. Thanks to her doctor Sterling, she had recovered well. He was a conniving man but he did his job to the utmost of his capability.

After her preparations, she sat in the back of the car with him. There's tension in the way he held himself this time, almost as if his day wasn't going the way he'd like it to. Amos hated the unpredictable. Something must have happened either with Gregory, or the match, or her brother Ian. Whichever of those choices, Amos didn't like it.

"You remember what I taught you about reading your opponent first?" He spoke all of a sudden, voice loud in the seemingly quiet ride.

Ah, he's nervous. Iris has probably been given someone quite out of her league for him to go a trip down memory lane with her. A national champion? Worlds, maybe?

"I've never forgotten any of your lessons."

"Maybe that's why," It sounded like he spoke to himself.

"What do you mean?"

"I was much harsher to you than your brother. Maybe that's why you haven't forgotten."

Or maybe I just wanted to be like Ian? Because if surpassing him is just what it takes for you and mother to finally acknowledge me, then so be it. But Iris realized how her heart didn't agree with her thoughts this time.

"How's Ian?" She asked. She didn't mean to sneak a glance his way, but when she saw Amos' eyes softening at the mention of her brother, she just wished she hadn't seen it at all. That proved it. That even though she's stepped in her brother's shoes... that even though she's the one who's realizing Amos' dreams to be recognized as a master of martial arts...

She will never come close to her brother at all.

It sucked the life out of her, truth be told. She's always thought she can keep this up--fight for Ian no matter what it takes. But it's just so goddamn exhausting and whatever it is that fueled her to join Visco's World in the first place was long gone now. 

"Don't worry about your brother and just focus on what's ahead. Your mind should be empty save for..." Amos began to drone on about his lessons and Iris just stopped listening.

Once they reached Visco's Academy, they were ushered into their destination. Back then, she wondered why they always liked the venue to be right at the school grounds. But then upon meeting the sponsors and the boards, she realized they all had the same twisted desire of doing the illegal in a place meant for caring and nurturing young people. Sick, but whatever, right? As long as the money's not stopping, who cares about being righteous?

She waited alone in the grey room, waiting for the signal to be called out. She never realized how even though this room was like a cage for savages waiting to be let out for the wealthy's entertainment, she was one of the savages. They were together. How she missed those banters, the nervous pacing, the hand holding.

"Hey."

Iris looked up at the sound of a familiar voice and saw Jack standing by the door, arms crossed and an enigmatic smile on his face. "What are you doing here?"

He slowly walked toward her, smile unwavering. "Dear Iris, ever so straight to the point. Is it so bad to personally wish you good luck? I still worry about you, you know. Despite knowing how far you've come."

He was right that he's always been concerned for her well-being ever since she first stepped into Ares' office that day. And Iris had learned to accept that Jack will always be Jack, a worrywart. So why did she feel so guarded today? It was probably due to her coming match and Amos' apparent distress at it.