Chapter 1: The Father and The Son

Since the time was quite odd for having lots of customers, the young cashier of the small candy store was mindlessly staring through the glass door of the shop, a hand under his chin. He wasn't utterly bored, but he wasn't that cheerful either. He suppressed a sigh because he knew he had to do the small part time job no matter how bored he could get. No, he wasn't poor, nor that he was in dire need of money. He just wanted to carry his own expenditure himself. That's why, even though he had to let go of the precious morning nap for his morning shift, he was working for the same store since the beginning of his university life.

The cashier, formally known as Kim Junkyu, in short, Junkyu, kept observing people after people through the glass door. He saw busy office workers, leaving for their job, students running to attend their classes on time, sometimes occasionally some children with their parents... just as he was watching a father and a son at that moment. The small kid, maybe around 4 or 5, was insisting on visiting the candy store with his small index finger.

Junkyu felt amused. A small smile was seen on his face as he observed the small playful fight between the two. He could read the lips of the father saying how the kid might get cavities if he wanted to have too many candies but the kid was way too persistent to mind him. He kept jumping up and down and pointing at the store. Junkyu's smile grew wider as he was having speculations about who would win the apparent fight. He could tell that the father was losing patience by the seconds and the small kid had a cheeky smile when finally, the father sighed and started walking towards the candy store.

Junkyu quickly wore his appealing smile, the one that melts all the customers' heart. Sure, his target was little children but sometimes his smile did hit adults in the heart as well, just the same as the father of the kid felt watching that heavenly, sunshine like smile.

"Good morning, sir!" Junkyu happily said, even though it was almost noon, he had his habitual greeting plastered to his lips. Neither the father nor the child paid heed to that though.

"Can you please give me candies which have the least possibility to form cavities?" The father politely smiled. His smile made his eyes look like those crescent moon-shaped ones, but what made his one more special was how his whole face smiled with that little expansion of his facial muscles.

Junkyu chuckled, "But sir, if you buy candies from here," he clicked his tongue, "I can't guarantee a cavity-free service."

The father awkwardly laughed. He looked at his son, but the kid knew he defeated his father for good. So, he was happily collecting candies on the lower shelves which he could reach.

"Doyoung ah! We can't take all those!" The father desperately called his son, whom Junkyu caught the name as Doyoung.

The kid reluctantly let go of some lollipops and chocolate bars which the father regarded as excess and took away from him. Still, the kid was left with quite a lot of candies according to Junkyu's opinion. So, the kid smiled as he left everything in front of Junkyu for checkout.

"I will let you have all these, but you need to show me your teeth first." Junkyu spoke to the kid who seemed a bit taken aback at the sudden call from Junkyu. He cautiously looked at his father who had a smile on his face as he slightly nodded.

"Eee", the kid made a sound as he showcased his slightly damaged teeth to Junkyu. Junkyu made a disappointing sound with his lips.

"See, your teeth are already affected but you still want to buy all these!" Junkyu sounded playful, but the kid didn't get that. So, he hid behind his father's legs and peeked at Junkyu with a pout from behind them.

"Do you want to keep all these?" Junkyu asked. The kid named Doyoung quickly nodded. His father looked at Junkyu and patiently waited to see what the cashier might say to his son, obviously with quite a positive mind-set.

"Then promise me to brush your teeth just as your dad says every morning and night, okay?" Junkyu's smile returned back to his face which made the kid smile in return. He had his teeth showing this time as well, as he grinned. The father seemed to like Junkyu's approach and smiled along with them.

"Okay!" The kid burst out loud. Both the father and the cashier laughed out in shock, watching the little boy's enthusiasm.

"He's quite unique!" Junkyu exclaimed as he finished returning the changes to the father of the son.

"I know." The father simply said. For once Junkyu felt like the father was bragging about his own son, but soon, looking at how lovingly the father was gazing at the kid made Junkyu think otherwise.

"Make sure to come here again, sir!" Junkyu smiled and bowed as he handed the package of candies over to the small family of two. The kid clapped with joy as he took the pack himself. The father slightly bowed and smiled the same half moon kind of smile at Junkyu. Then the two slowly walked out of the small store.

Junkyu kept staring at them as long as he could, because he genuinely liked the father-son interaction. What he did not know was that the man who seemed like the kid's father was replaying his bright sunshine like smile in his head over and over again.