Chapter 7: Delusion

Junkyu might not look like one, but he was a great eater. He loved meal times. Heavy, light, sweet, spicy, salty, sour- he basically loved everything. Even the food found in his varsity cafeteria- he liked it. He always took a variety of items, occupied a far corner table and enjoyed his meal slowly, taking almost the whole lunch time. Since he didn't have that many friends, or at least close ones, no one actually cared and he was totally happy about it.

On such a fine day, Junkyu was once again seated at his respective table, taking in the delicious goodness all alone, unbothered. He even had closed eyes; taste seemed to come better that way.

When he was halfway through, opening his eyes just to see what to eat next, he saw, like a dream come true, his crush. He blinked quickly, Mashiho was studying in a different university. There must be no reason for him to actually arrive at Junkyu's. It must be his eyes tricking him!

Yet, crossing a pillar, it was still Mashiho's small body and cute face Junkyu could see. Junkyu had contact lenses on, so he saw it very clearly. That Mashiho took a tray of dishes from the counter and walked to a distant table.

Junkyu left his food like that. Wiping his lips with a tissue paper, he followed where he saw Mashiho go. Soon enough, he spotted the small Japanese. Seated on a table of four, across from another Japanese guy, whom Junkyu was known to.

From afar, Junkyu couldn't really tell what they were talking about. Maybe they knew each other because they were both Japanese? Maybe they were schoolmates? Maybe Mashiho came to simply hang out with him. There could be thousands of reasons why Mashiho was eating across from Junkyu's acquaintance, Kanemoto Yoshinori. It wasn't bothering Junkyu.

What actually bothered him was the question- If Mashiho knew Yoshi, why didn't he say it Junkyu when Junkyu first mentioned which institution he'd been studying at? Did he forget to mention? But doesn't our brain look for a connection with the other while talking?

Maybe Mashiho deliberately avoided telling it to Junkyu? But why?

Did he secretly want Yoshi's help to get with Junkyu?

Junkyu shook his head to drive his delusional thoughts away. Human brain! Funny how it thinks what it wants to at times! He decided not to think too much and just go and confront them. They didn't look like they were talking, so, it must be no problem if Junkyu joined.

"Mashiho! What are you doing here in my uni!?" Junkyu acted. Both Mashiho and Yoshi looked up at him.

"Hey, Junkyu hyung!" Mashiho smiled, "Oh right! I forgot; you study here too!"

Junkyu's smile faded a little. Thinking how it could be a cunning pretense, Junkyu looked at Yoshi.

"Oh, hi Junkyu." Yoshi waved, "You know Mashi beforehand?"

Junkyu nodded, "He came to my store at times."

"Ah..." Yoshi looked at Mashiho and they seemed to have a conversation with their eyes. Junkyu neither understood, nor tried.

"Can I sit with you?" Junkyu asked again. Yoshi and Mashiho once again met eyes before Yoshi shook his head in agreement, "Sure, take a seat!"

"Thank you!" smiling, Junkyu took the seat beside Yoshi. He wanted to see Mashiho's face.

"So, why are you here? You guys know each other from before, right?" he asked again. Yoshi seemed to open his mouth but Mashiho answered first, "Yeah."

"Cool." Junkyu said, "You should have told me you'd come here, Mashiho!"

Mashiho looked a little sceptical, but laughed, "Hyung, I often come here!"