Chapter 8

Happy sat patiently waiting for Denni to spill what she had to tell him. He finally stilled her pacing and gently sat her on the bed. "What's going on?" he asked.

Taking a deep breath she played with one of her rings as she thought over what she was about to say. "Well, you remember the first night we hung out at my place?" she asked. When he nodded she continued. "I lied to you."

His brows knitted together as he thought of what she could have lied about. "What do you mean?"

She hung her head. "When I said that I was running books, I didn't tell you that the club was getting a kick back." she explained. Seeing his brows knit together, she continued. "The club was in a tight spot with the Irish and needed some quick cash, so they came to me. More Clay than the club."

Happy took it all in and finally figured out the runs up to Tacoma nearly every month were for collecting the cash the club needed. "How much?" he asked,

Denni scrunched her face as she let it out. "Least three hundred."

"Jesus Christ." He sighed. Knowing the financials of the club, he knew that they were square with the Irish long ago, so the question of why still come to Denni for money kept raising a red flag. "How long has that been going on?"

"About a year now." she admitted. "Seems it's one long string of bad luck for the club."

----

Opie stood in the garage looking over Jax's shoulder as he replaced the water pump in his truck. "You know you can do this in your sleep." Jax huffed as he tightened a bolt. "Tell me why I'm doing it?"

Opie smirked as he continued to watch his bestfriend fix his truck. "I could, but then what would you do?" He smiled wide as Jax glared. As the two sat in the garage their conversation drifted towards the return of Denni. "So now she's back, what does that say about the Irish?"

Jax stood and wiped his hands on a rag nearby and thought it over. "I don't understand why we're still using Denni. We've been flush with the Irish for months."

"So where's the cash going?" Opie asked, placing a cigarette between his lips.

Jax had no answer for that question. He wanted to know himself. Every time he went to ask Clay, something would come up and they'd be side tracked. "Maybe we should find out."

Opie chuckled as They walked out of the garage. "You think Clay is gonna tell us?"

"Not a goddamn chance." he huffed as they headed towards the clubhouse.

Gemma watched as Jax and Opie abandoned the truck with determination on their faces. She knew nothing good was going to come out of whatever they were up to. Cursing under her breath she dropped into her chair and thought over what the return of Denni could mean. She knew Clay was lining his pockets and she had also benefited from the extra cash floating around, but if the guys found out...

-

Denni sat in the car waiting for the others to load up. It had been a long night of conversation between her and Happy. She was thankful he wasn't as angry as she thought he would be. As she thought over the last year she too was starting to question why the club could never get flush.

Her thoughts were broken when the passenger door opened and Kozik slipped into the car. She snorted and shook her head. "You know damn well Hap isn't going to let you sit there."

Kozik shrugged. "Needed a minute before we headed out. You know the drill, so I'm not going to waste time with that." He started as he looked towards the group of leather clad men. "Whatever happened last night has a serious thorn in Hap's ass."

She sighed heavily and debated on what to tell Kozik. "If I tell you, do you promise to keep it locked up?" she asked.

He nodded and crossed his heart. "No one knows about the night I had to pick you up from that kegger your junior year do they?"

Rolling her eyes she turned towards him. "I told him about SAMCRO coming to me for money for the Irish."

Kozik's head cocked to the side with that information. "For how long?" he asked.

Before she could answer, the passenger door opened again. Kozik chuckled before Hap dragged him out by the back of his kutte and took his spot beside Denni. "We're ready to head out." he said as he made himself comfortable. "What were you two talking about?"

Denni shrugged and smirked. "You."

-

It was dark by the time Sully had pulled into the Charming Motel. He was exhausted and listening to Lenny snore for the past two hours had him thankful they had made it. Giving Lenny a shove, he grabbed his bag from the back and headed for the office to check in. An older lady sat on the other side of the counter and greeted him with a friendly smile.

"How long are you staying with us?" she asked as Lenny walked in. Her eyes landed on the disheveled man and went back to the older man in front of her.

"Hopefully just a few days then back on the road," he explained as he pulled out some cash for the room. As he took the key they felt the rumble of a pack of motorcycles riding by. "Does that happen often?" Sully asked.

The lady shrugged at the question. "You get used to it." she said with a kind smile. "Enjoy your stay."

Sully and Lenny left the small office and watched as the bikers all lined up in the parking lot across the street. "You know a couple of them look familiar." Lenny said as he popped a cigarette into his mouth.

Sully knew which ones he was referring to. "The ogre is definitely familiar." He thought back to a few weeks ago when they had staked out the girls apartment. He and another one crashed her date night with the bald one.

"You hungry?" Lenny asked as they watched the group file inside of the diner across the street.

---

Happy looked over his shoulder one more time before he asked his best friend what he and Denni were talking about before he interrupted. "What's the deal with you and Denni earlier?" 

Kozik shrugged at the question as he thought over his answer. "She said she told you about SAMCRO."

"Did you know?" he asked. 

"Had no idea until she said something." he admitted. "But it makes all those runs make sense."

"You know they've been flush, right?" 

Kozik's brows knitted as he listened to his friend. "Then why got to Denni?" 

Happy had a feeling that it was Clay lining his pockets. "Keep it to yourself. Let's see what happens when we get to Charming." he said as he took a peak into the rearview mirror. Hos eyes landing on a sleeping Denni. The knot in his stomach growing.