Chapter eight - Mystery solved

Mystery solved

Cole's POV

I spelled it out slowly with my hands to her shocked face. She started signing rapidly and I made a 'slow down' motion with my hands.

I got out some of the sheets I had printed. "Can you spell it out slowly?" I asked, she nodded, dazed.

'H-O-W' was all she spelled out. I shrugged "Got the sheets on the Internet." She nodded slowly.

'W-H-Y' she then spelled out. "You seem nice, underneath." I smiled, she glared at me slightly.

By this time the bell had rung and we were walking to where Becca's class was.

Becca walked out and looked shocked to see us walking together. "What happened?" Leyla started signing rapidly.

She turned to me "You learned to sign?" I signed 'Yes' as I had learnt.

She looked just as shocked as Leyla first did. She then started signing herself rapidly, glancing at me ever so often.

Leyla did the same, frowning slightly and eventually crossing her arms and glaring at becca.

Lucas and Harvey started towards us but I made a stopping motion with my hands and they reluctantly hung back.

Becca turned to me once again. "Why did you do this?" She asked abruptly. "Leyla seems-" she cut me off. "The real reason." She gave me a stern glare.

After a minute I huffed and gave in. "Fine maybe a TEENSY bit of me wanted to know about..." I trailed off awkwardly. Leyla stormed off, surprising everyone.

Becca hurried after her, surprising no-one.

Harvey and Lucas approached cautiously. "Hey man, what happened?!" Lucas said, looking alarmed.

I sighed again. "I learned a bit of sign language." Their eyes widened, it was quite comical. "SERIOUSLY?!" Harvey exclaimed. I nodded.

"Wow." Lucas shared "Just... Wow. You really like her don't you?" My eyes widened just as much as theirs "No, course not!" I denied quickly.

They raised their eyebrows in sync. "You guys are creepy." I stated.

"Stop trying to change the subject" Lucas exclaimed. I huffed and folded my arms over my chest. "Look, I don't like her, kay?" They nodded "Sure," said Harvey, "Whatever you say." They smirked at each other.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, now will anyone tell me about Leyla?!" I asked, exasperated. Their looks turned uneasy and Harvey looked to Lucas imploringly.

"Come on, we know he's not going to use her." He said quietly. Lucas sighed slightly. "Maybe, but not here or now. We'll meet up with him later." The conversation was clearly not intended for me so I pretended not to be listening.

They turned to me, and I tried to look as if I hadn't been listening intently. "So, anyone going to tell me?" I asked hopefully.

Lucas looked slightly weary, and turned his head from side to side as if looking for something.

"If you really want to know, come to my flat tonight, I'll tell you all I know. Here, give me your phone, I'll text you the address." Lucas looked slightly ashamed, as if what we were doing was horrendously wrong.

I gave him my phone obediently and he tapped the keys for a while before handing it back to me. "Can you send me a quick text so I can get your number?" I once again obeyed.

Harvey looked semi-pleased but shared a bit of the ashamed look, the same as Lucas and I frowned, it can't be that bad, can it?

The rest of the day passed by in a blur and I barely noticed the stares or whispers. One girl was even bold enough to come and ask me about it, egged on by her friends.

The end of the day came and my phone buzzed in my pocket, it was Lucas with his address and times for us to meet. I vaguely wondered whether it was a bad idea before dismissing the idea.

I checked his location out on a map and happily discovered it was within walking distance, it gave me some time to reflect on how the day went.

I had spent a long few hours learning the sign language alphabet that morning, labouring over the computer. I'd also learnt a few basic phrases, her face was full of surprise when I started moving my hands.

I grinned as I thought about it and went through some of the movements in my head.

I got to the letter 'O' and I found myself at Lucas' door. I rang the doorbell and stepped back, wringing my hands nervously.

Harvey opened it and nodded at me slightly. "Thanks for coming mate" I smiled, happy that at least one person was glad to see me.

He led me into the front room and left, I sat down awkwardly on one of the brown leather couches. There were cushions spread haphazardly across the room, and a small, fluffy rug sat beneath a pine coffee table.

Everything here was quite homely and I smiled slightly, unused to this kind of atmosphere.

A woman flounced past, sneering as she saw me. "Has Lucas finally admitted to batting for the other team?" She asked, smirking. I spluttered slightly.

Her smirk grew and I began to feel uncomfortable. "We're just friends, Lucas and I" she laughed bitterly. "Whatever you like honey."

I shivered slightly as she walked out, wondering why she was here. Lucas walked in and noticed my expression. "Met my father's newest lay then?" I nodded.

"Don't worry, they all think they're going to stay, they never do." I shifted in my seat at his tone and have him an uneasy smile to show I understood.

He walked into the kitchen and called out "Want anything?" And gesturing to the open fridge, I shrugged, "Whatever you've got is good." He nodded and threw me a beer.

He sat down with his and cracked it open. I copied and gestured for him to talk. "What do you want to know?" He asked with narrowed eyes.

"Everything." I said firmly, they looked taken aback before regaining their composure.

Lucas looked thoughtful, and took a sip of his beer quietly. He spoke up after a few minutes of awkward silence, startling me. "I'll tell you all I know."

###############

Hey guys!

Sorry to leave it on a cliffhanger, but I couldn't resist! Thank you to everyone who reads, votes and comments, every single one of them means the world to me! I only have to have six more reads and I hit 100! I am SO EXCITED! Thanks everyone for sticking with my rubbish writing and sorry about all the rubbish and short bits! Love you all!

Olivia

xx