Chapter 17

Xia Xing Juan dragged Zhang Yong Zheng and hurried out of the Unclean Realm and didn't even acknowledge the deputy general who rushed to them to ask if anything was amiss. Now as she walked her way to Yueyang, she almost felt guilty. It wasn't the fault of the kind-hearted deputy general. But, oh well, it was too late to do anything anyway. And soon other thoughts were able to occupy her mind.

Yong Zheng also seeing how deep in thought Xing Juan was, didn't think it was best to bother her, even to remind her they could fly back to the town instead of walking. So, he also followed her silently.

Only her aching legs were able to snap her back into the present. She stopped suddenly and looked around. "Where are we?"

"You tell me. You were the one who led us all the way here. I thought you knew where you were going." Yong Zheng's joke earned him a slap, which he dodged very skilfully. "Don't worry. This is the way back to the town. Anyway, what were you thinking so hard about? We have come more than halfway already. I was wondering when you are going to start complaining about your legs."

"Why didn't you stop me? We could have flown to the town like we got here."

"I didn't want to disturb your thoughts. And you were in such a temper, I was scared that you would lash out if I disturbed you. And now I'm too exhausted to use my spiritual energy to haul us both on my sword."

"Yeah, right. Like you would be threatened by me lashing out for a second," Xing Juan said scowling. "Anyway, I was thinking about what we should do next. I really didn't expect this visit to end up like this. I thought that there would be a slight chance of them declining to help us find our parents, but I thought that they would surely help us to settle things back home and also to track down the culprits. How the hell does such a great sect has such a poor leader. He is a complete idiot. He didn't even bother to protect his face and displayed his idiocy head on.

I didn't tell you this before because there seemed no point in shoving problems into your brain when there is nothing to be done. But laying in that bed having nothing to do, my brain was running every which way. I couldn't help but think that going back really wasn't an option. I know I told my sister that it would be better for us to go back as soon as possible so we could search for our parents. But now that seems like a stupid idea. They are a whole village, at least half of a whole village and if they can't look after themselves what can we do. We are just a group of four and we only have one guy and only you know how to fight a little."

Yong Zheng wanted to comment on 'fight a little' and say that he can actually fight very well. But he decided this was not a time to argue on such a trivial thing. And he knew what Xing Juan meant. It's hard for him alone to fight with many and protect three maidens at the same time. So, his skills might as well end up being pretty useless.

"The Xia clan was no cultivators," Xing Juan continued. "But they had very skilled swordsmen back at Xia mansion and they were all slain. So, if the murderers come back, we might not stand any chance against them. It sounds like absolute stupidity to return like this. I was thinking at least some Nie disciples would go back with us, but seeing that, that is not going to happen, I don't know what to do. I don't want to abandon our parents. I really want to go and find them, but..." her voice trailed off.

Yong Zheng wrapped his arms around her and gave an assuring kiss on her forehead. "I know how you feel, and I was thinking about the same thing. I was also going to tell you that it would be dangerous to return. But if you really want to go back as soon as possible, I would do everything I can to protect you, might we ever come across danger. But I think it would be best to go to the Zhang clan right now. The Nie clan might be a bunch of cowards, but I can assure you that the Zhang clan is surely going to provide any help you need. If we go there, I can gather my friends and we can go back to the village together. That way nobody will be able to harm us.