Chapter 32

Chun Hua pretended to be tired just so she could lag behind as much she like, away from the big dog. Hong Guang seemed to want to touch him, but she also kept running a few steps away from the dog as soon as he turned his big head towards her, tongue out and dripping.

Fairy seemed to enjoy this game a lot, and he sometimes turned around and bounced back to Hong Guang until Qi Xue got hold of his collar and dragged him to the front of the group. Despite her nervousness, this made Chun Hua laughed all the way through. All four of them were laughing so much. Hong Guang asked the two girls about the boys in the meadow, and both Qi Xue and Mei Mei seemed more than willing to tell them who they were as well as their personal opinions about them.

"So, Lan Si Zhui and Ouyang Zi Zhen are the kind hearted and less troublesome. I never thought boys and less troublesome went together. So, if I'm going to make friends with any of them, I'll go for those two. I like less troublesome." Hong Guang wondered out loud.

"Well, Jin Ling is not that bad. He is a spoilt baby, but I don't think he is bad." Qi Xue said.

"Well, Lan Jing Yi is hard to predict. I don't like his attitude." Mei Mei said, making a face.

"Well, he does say some rude things, but sometimes people who speak out their mind usually have nothing to hide." Qi Xue said.

"Yes, usually the ones that always smile are the ones that keep all the anger bundled inside." Hong Guang agreed. Suddenly feeling lonely, she looked around. She could swear that every one of them were laughing a minute ago. But now everyone was silent. Even Fairy had abandoned all his tricks and was weary of his surroundings. After a while, he started whimpering, but he did not back off and guided the little group. It felt like he was saying,'I'm in charge. I'm going to take care of my friends.'

Smoke drifted towards them, and Mei Mei said, covering her nose, "Oh, I heard they burned the grounds because it was so hard to get rid of the stench of the dead."

Remembering the smell that lingered in that village where she met the YiLing Patriarch, Hong Guang felt discouraged. To be honest, Hong Guang was not looking forward to going to another village that met with the same fate. But earlier she was feeling stubborn and annoyed and was thinking that if she can't attend the meeting she is going to go and investigate the villages. The fact that their whole group only had girls made her feel better as well. Yes, we girls can do dangerous things too.

But this wasn't fear she was feeling. She definitely had lost the bravado of their mini adventure. But the hesitation she was feeling was not due to fear. She felt so down. So sad and tired. And looking around, she knew she wasn't the only one. They all looked like a depressed group of widows exiting their husbands' funeral or something. This kind of made Hong Guang smile, but that little joke also vanished faster than it appeared.

...

Jiang Cheng entered the Lotus Hall. The disciple who led him to the meeting place just left him at the door, making him feel so alone all of a sudden. He really should have brought some Jiang disciples with him.

There didn't seem to be any designated seats for the attendees, except for Lan Qi Ren and sect leader Lan. To be honest, he hated that, for now he had to find a seat beside someone he didn't mind sitting next to. He cursed himself for being late. If he came earlier, he could have chosen any seat without making it look like he's trying to sit next to someone or trying to stay away from someone.

Speaking about people he wanted to stay away from, his stupid brother was looking at him like Jiang Cheng was going to burst then and there in the middle of the hall filled with people. Who did Wu Xian really take him for? Some insolent brat? And Lan Wang Ji, who was sitting way too close to Wu Xian for Jiang Cheng's liking, looked like he was about to draw his sword out if Jiang Cheng took one more step towards them.