Chapter 6

Aleksander had been a fool

He could hear his mother repeating that word to him again and again.
And she would be right.
He had spent weeks in that palace, starting to believe that he was safe amongst otkazat'sya people who couldn't learn what he was.
Until he felt that pull when he saw that red haired girl named Lara.
Another Grisha.
At King Melech's court.
Why he hadn't noticed her before?
In that time could she have already guessed what he was?
Lara seemed very close to Alyssa. How much close to reveal her his secrets if she found out?

"Hey?" Alyssa called him "What's wrong?".
He focused again on the young woman standing in front of him.
He needed to flee, to be alone and think again about how to survive into that palace without being found out and without needing to kill another Grisha just to protect his secrets.
Alyssa grabbed his hand and pulled him into the nearest empty room.
Not her private one, but the war room.

"You look... shocked" she said taking some steps away from him, but her eyes never quit him.
"I'm just...very surprised. After hearing the colonel's preach against Grisha...".
"You believed that no Grisha lived in this palace, so close to him" she concluded for him, nodding at that reasonable excuse "Actually it's kinda funny that Hector owes so much to Lara. Although that wasn't enough to convert him".
"Why? What happened?" he asked resting his eyes on her.
"He got badly wounded on his face in a battle. And when he arrived, he immediately asked for a Grisha healer. Lara did an excellent job. She should have left at least a scar on his face. To teach him to be a little humble. But that wasn't enough. Once no sign of that wound was left, he was back at preaching against Grisha".
It just fed his antipathy for the colonel.
"But that healer is still here" he said confused.
"I'm protecting her" she said with pride "As well as she has the king's protection. It's always useful to have a healer around, specially now that it's so easy to die. But she doesn't openly use her skills, only for urgent matters".
"And you're hoping that she can heal General Rostov?".
She sighed, keeping her head low for a while, then admitted softly "Yes, hoping. But that's enough. We want him to heal. While Hector wants him dead".
"It's like being in the crossfire".
"Yes. What we experienced in that camp, being ambushed, isn't anything new to us. It's like we are fighting a battle everyday. And all we can hope for is to find a balance, so we won't be overcome".
She stopped next to him and pulled him to a chair, making him sit down, while she stood being him and massaged his shoulders.

It was a welcomed distraction, but the matter was vital for him.
"What about the royals? Do they know what she is?".
She nodded, her long hair brushing the back of his head "Meira agrees that Grisha should be our equal".
"Equal?" he repeated, unable to contain how he liked that word. Something that Aleksander had craved for all his life. To be accepted.
"Yes" she lowered her voice "When she was a child, she almost drowned in the river and her playmate saved her, revealing powers that she wasn't aware of having. That playmate was the daughter of a nobleman and Meira loved her as a sister, so she didn't care if she was a Grisha".
"What happened to that little Grisha?" he almost feared the answer, but he hoped that Alyssa was talking about herself, although he should have know if she was a Tidemaker.
"Her father panicked, fearing to lose his daughter. So he and his family fled. Probably they found haven in Novyi Zem".
He stood up, unable to just sit and enjoy the movements of her hands. He needed to think clearly.
Maybe he should have moved his plans to that country, where Grisha had a little more freedom. But he had to be ambitious. He had to make Ravka a safe place, a home for all Grisha.
Alyssa grabbed his hand, reminding him that he wasn't alone with his thoughts "Keep it secret, okay? Lara's life depends on it. The people in the palace know about her, but they are loyal to the king. They won't risk to face his anger. But we can't trust the guests. A word to the ears of some Fjerdan messenger can bring the Druskelle straight into the palace".
"I won't say a word, I promise you" he kissed her hand "I'm loyal to you, Alyssa. I won't do anything that can make you upset".
She chuckled at his resolute tone "I'm not the king, Captain".
"But to me, you are my Queen".
It made her sigh, torn between esasperation and being flattered.
"Be careful. Words can be as dangerous as words, specially if some spy is listening".
"If someone is spying, I'd know and silence him".
She cocked her brow "I like your confidence. But don't overestimate your talents. I'd die to have that kind of superpower and get rid of all the spies".
"Don't die, when you can use someone who would do anything for you" he teased.
She shook her head and walked towards the door, checking outside, then left.