∆ FIFTY ONE ∆

Dedicated to teggielala

Leaning my side on the wall, my eyes moved lazily round my new home. It was going to be my home until I had the stupid baby and it was all because of it. Or maybe I was going to be stuck here for the rest of my life. Who knows?

My eyes went to the blue bucket I had at the tap currently getting filled. The taps in the house weren't functional anymore so grandma woke me up early this morning to get all the buckets in the house filled.

"Omo, that guy no get sense." Laughter followed afterwards as the two guys from yesterday walked into the compound. The fair guy from yesterday stopped laughing abruptly as we made contact with our eyes. His friend's laughter stopped slowly as his head moved from his friend to mine. He adjusted the green beanie on his head and I tore my sight from them to my almost filled bucket.

It was embarrassing to see them after yesterday's drama. Grandma dragged me upstairs pulling my ear. At least it was a way to announce to the whole neighborhood that I was a part of them now.

I could feel their stares lingering on me so I stood upright and tired to cover up my upper body which was only in a red singlet by tying grandma's Ankara wrapper that was on my waist round my chest.

"Hello."

I raised my head up to see the two guys before me. I mustered a smile.

"I'm Jazz."

Jazz? I gave a frown, that was a very weird name. Was he named after the music genre Jazz or was it village people jazz? I nodded anyway.

"I- I - Am...I'm-"

Jazz rolled his eyes at his fair friend as he crossed his arms. "He's Felix. He's not used to seeing pretty girls." He grinned. "Are you with mama Oye?"

I nodded.

"You must be her granddaughter?"

I nodded again.

"Erm, are you dumb? You can't speak?" Jazz's face fell as he asked.

"No. I can." I countered.

He put his hand to cover is nose. "You don brush today?" Jazz moved farther away as he made a disgusted face then whispered to his friend, "no wonder she no dey talk." But it was loud enough for my ears to catch on.

My face fell and I took my hands to my mouth and released a breath, I scrunched my face. It really smelt.

Felix pinched Jazz's side while my face flushed in embarrassment and I concentrated on the floor. I saw him nudge Jazz again then faintly I heard, "sorry. No too reason am, no vex."

Nodding, I turned off the tap as my bucket was filled. As I made to carry it, for the first time I heard Felix speak. "What's your name?"

"To-"

All three of us averted our gaze up hearing a loud cry coming from the second floor. The shout continued and I looked at the boys, they looked indifferent. I made to move but a hand held mine. I looked up at Jazz and he shook his head.

Felix cleared his throat loudly, shoving his hands into the pocket of his black cargo pants. "Er, maybe you should go home. Mama Oye must be waiting for you."

I nodded and Jazz released his grasp from my hand, he crossed his arms on his chest. He was in a denmin Dundee and a white T-shirt underneath.

I took my bucket of water and made for the stairs. When I got to the second floor, I took a look at the wooden door then turned around to see both boys starring eagerly at me to carry on walking, I did so and the shout from the apartment increased but I pushed our green metal door open and walked in.