Chapter 12

~ Chapter 12 ~

3rd Person Point of View

2 weeks passed and Blair continued to refuse visitors, even as her condition got better. She was either passed out most of the time or she was willing for herself to pass out to spare herself the burning pain engulfing her body at all hours. 

The boys stopped by every day in hopes of finally being let back to see her but to no avail. Most of Darry's time was consumed with building cases who lawyers to make sure Ponyboy stayed with him and Johnny didn't get arrested…or sent off to a boys' home. There was a rumor going around about Johnny's parents. 

Today, Darry had time off between houses and the boys were all in school, so he went to the hospital. This time though, he didn't ask if he could see her. He found her instead. 

-
Darrel Curtis's Point of View

I peek inside of the open door, stepping in slightly and silently. A body is lying face down on a bed that could just as easily pass for a table. A sheet is draped over her bottom half and her skin is charred and black, spots of it on the ground beneath as if it had simply flaked off. Her hair has been burnt clean off and only uneven stubs remain of her red locks.  My stomach churns at the sight of her and it makes my heart sink. I felt guilty before, but it's entirely different now. 

"I don't need anything, get outta here," Blair grumbles. I honestly thought she was unconscious by the way she looked. Her body was completely limp. Now, she's tensed up a little. At least she looks a little more alive now. I slowly approach her, trying to keep my shoes as quiet as possible on the shiny floors. I avoid right next to her bed. 

I'm gonna be sick. 

All of her skin is peeling off like a snake's shed. Bubbles of puss cover the non-flaking skin or at least the skin that's not as bad. The sheet doesn't do much to hide the charring of her skin under it. It's partially see-through, not that I would be able to see much that I shouldn't anyway. Just the sight of her looks painful. 

"I said-" Her voice cuts off with a whimper as her head turns to the side a little bit. A pause and then more whining ensues. Even at the slightest movement, a flake of skin hits the ground and I have to cover my mouth to keep from saying something or being sick. 

God, Blair did this for Johnny and Ponyboy. If they hadn't been in that damn church trying to save those kids…if I hadn't hit Ponyboy, they wouldn't have been there in the first place. She only had to save them because of me. 

I sit down on the chair next to her bed and look down at the mirror beneath her head.  A small cutout is in the bed so I can see her. I wish I hadn't. The burns on her face aren't nearly as bad, but they definitely don't look great. They wouldn't heal too bad, but they sure look gnarly now. 

Blair's eyes and pinched tightly closed and there's tubes in her nose. I follow the tubes to a tank of oxygen. She must have breathed in too much smoke. Drops of water are formed in the corners of her eyes and there are dried tears warping the mirror with bubbles. 

When Blair opens her eyes, she notices me immediately. 

"Darry?" 

I nod. 

"I told the nurses-"

"I didn't ask the nurses," I interrupt. "Someone needed to check on you." 

"That's what the nurses are for," she mumbles and I see a slight smile in the mirror. I roll my eyes. "You came for an explanation, didn't you?" 

"No," I answer. I hesitate a moment, sighing. "I came to check on you, I wanted to make sure you were okay, but…"