Chapter 2

"So..." Lance cracked his knuckles. "How should we do this? We need to choose a new paladin for the black lion. Who should it be?"

"Violet," Pidge said, "Your connection to the black lion was strong enough to sever Zarkon's connection with it. Maybe you could be the new paladin."

Violet raised an eyebrow from where she was sharpening her daggers. "Would you guys really accept me as your leader?"

Hunk hummed thoughtfully. "You do have the whole motivational speech thing down. And you're smart. And you have a lot of expertise when it comes to taking down the Galra."

Violet shook her head. "It's not me. I'm not a leader - I stay in the shadows. I was trained to be a weapon, to be unseen. And I can't fly a paper bag. It has to be a pilot."

"Besides," Allura said, "It's the lion that chooses its paladin, not the other way around. the black lion should be the one to choose."

On that note, the group headed to the hangar, where the black lion lay immobilized. The paladins began to try to start the black lion, with little success. Violet went after Lance. She entered the cockpit and sat in Shiro's seat.

Blacky, you there?

The black lion flickered to life. Violet drew in a breath. Then let's cut to the chase. Who is your paladin?

She was flooded with so many memories she almost fell off the seat. Violet paused, sorting through them. Keith in the black lion, flying it; Keith's presence in the red lion, the feel of recognizing someone but not being sure about them. Until Shiro had disappeared, and now the black lion was drawn to Keith more than ever.

Violet stood. She'd seen enough.

"Was it you?" Hunk asked as Violet exited the black lion.

She looked up, eyes glistening. "I - the black lion told me. Keith is the black lion's paladin. There is no one else."

"What?" Lance cried. "Keith can't be the new paladin!"

"There's only one way to find out," Allura said somberly. "Keith, you're the only one who hasn't gone. Try to awaken the black lion."

Keith walked up to the black lion, entering the cockpit. A few seconds later the black lion roared, getting to its feet. Keith stepped out, hanging his head.

"I'm glad Blacky chose you," said Allura. "You were always meant to be a leader."

Hunk added, "I agree. Congrats, man."

Violet said nothing, carefully watching Keith's expression. She knew he would be a great leader, better than Shiro even - but he had to come to terms with the fact that Shiro was gone. Which he wouldn't.

"No," he said, lifting his head. "I'm not a leader, and I won't be one."

"But you have to. Blacky decided that you were its paladin," said Allura, confused.

Keith's eyes blazed. "Well, I'm not - Shiro is! I won't replace him. I'm never going to be the leader he was, and that's final."

Lance put a hand on his shoulder. Surprised, Keith looked up. "No one can be the leader Shiro was, Keith," he said. "No one can replace him. But we're not asking you to. Blacky recognized you as its paladin because it knew you were the best choice to lead us. It doesn't want you to be Shiro. it just wants to have a paladin again."

Keith gazed up at his new ride. "But if I'm the black paladin, who will fly Red?"

Suddenly, Coran spun into the room, face panicked. "Puig - the planet Lance, Hunk, Vi and the Blades freed - got invaded again. They need Voltron!"