Chapter 6

Hey guys!

This story's drawing to a close, so thank you to everyone who's read it all! For this chapter, I'm bringing in more of the Erythian pilots, so I redrew some of them to match their descriptions.

Here you go:

The closest to the camera is Tavo, and to his left is Zoya, his cousin and a healer; the guy farthest away is Fallon

The closest to the camera is Tavo, and to his left is Zoya, his cousin and a healer; the guy farthest away is Fallon. There's also Lin, who has red markings and black hair, and Ender, who has green markings.

At first, there was bright light. This was always how the dreams started, and ended too. Silver light stretching across the stars and swallowing the sky until all that was left was blank space.

And then, in the white void, a woman - an Erythian, with gold markings, laughing joyfully. Honerva, when she'd just been a scientist. And then, a growl, from somewhere beyond the void - the growl of a lion calling to Honerva. She turned, face brightening further, and then the scene changed.

Dust and bits of marble rose into the air, parting for a creature one with a long, curling tail and double swords and narrowed eyes. Join me, it hissed. With your power, we could be unstoppable. We could remake Erythia. Our people would never have to suffer again.

The monster offered its clawed hand, palm open; and then Honerva was there instead, her face serene, her hand outstretched, standing in the white void.

The light came next, in a searing blast, until only Honerva's glowing markings could be seen amidst the blinding light.

Violet jerked upright, gasping, in her bed, her hand going instinctively to her pillow, where a dagger was hidden underneath. Her room was dark - there was no one there but her.

She forced her heartbeat to slow. It had been a dream. The same one that had plagued her every night for a week - Honerva and Lotor, reaching out their hand to her in a silver void. Violet had no idea what it meant. She hoped it was her imagination, and nothing more.

With a groan, she flopped back onto her bed. She'd been sleeping with Keith more after the nightmares came - she'd never be able to fall back asleep otherwise. Tonight, though, it had to be three in the morning, and she didn't want to wake him.

Violet held her hand up to her face, staring at the callouses on the tops of her fingers. They'd come from using her magic, summoning the light in beams and shields. Circles of torn, rough skin at the tips of her hands. Violet concentrated, and a thread of light appeared in the palm of her hand, illuminating the room.

She extinguished it with a long sigh and slipped on her boots. She'd had enough light from her dream, and the calm darkness was welcome.

-

The Erythians were awake when Violet came in - they always were. Every robeast the Atlas had hunted down from Honerva's attack had held an injured Erythian inside. Once they'd defeated the beasts, the Erythians had been taken aboard the Atlas.