Tale as Old as Time

Gwen's POV

There were hushed whispers on the other side of the door. My heart continued to beat wildly in my chest. My hand was still attached to an IV pole, complete with clear fluids and another bag being mixed in with the tubing. I wanted to pull it out but was stopped by a hand.

Niko's warm hand touched my knuckles, "I wouldn't do that love. It's giving you some nutrients you need." His voice was soft and delicate, but it didn't relieve the gasp that fell from my lips. He had come into the room so quickly and quiet, was my mind that foggy? Growing up with Master I had to be quick-thinking and listen well. If I didn't it could mean punishment or facing the wrath of one of his men. I always had been on alert and now I wasn't.

"Are you drugging me?" I whispered almost silently. Niko furrowed his brows and sat on the bed next to me. Even though he hurt me emotionally, I still felt comfortable to be around him. "No, Gwen we would never do that. You were extremely dehydrated, and we did some blood tests. You are extremely malnourished." Niko looked over my form as I continued to shake out of fear and the coldness of the room.

"Are you cold? Do you need another blanket?" A blanket, I would have done almost anything to get a blanket over the years. Winters were rough at the club, Master didn't want to pay for extra heating in the basement, saying a bit of shivering would keep us from getting too fat. With out saying a word, Niko rose from the bed and grabbed a blanket over hanging a decorative chair and wrapped it around me. "Thank you," I murmured, and he just nodded.

"I'm sure you have questions," Niko rubbed his hands together between his legs, "but first you need to eat." Niko had a tray full of food that was sat on a near by dresser. It was complete with spaghetti noodles with meat sauce, garlic bread, a small salad, and a large glass of water. My mouth watered looking at it, that must be the most food ever to be presented in front of me. Niko chuckled as he flipped the tray's legs out and sat it in front of me on the bed. "Come on now, dig in."

Niko didn't have to tell me twice as I untangled myself from wrapping my arms around me. I twirled my fork in the noodles and gathered as much sauce as I could. Once it dropped on my tongue I was in instant heaven. I continued to eat like it was my last meal, but it wasn't long until my stomach churned in protest. I had barely eaten five bites and I was already full.

Niko had been watching me as I ate and noticed immediately stopping. "Gwen what's wrong? Do you not like it?" I shook my head as I bit my lip. "No, I'm just full. I don't think I can eat another bite."

"What? That's impossible, you've barely at anything. Come on you must eat more." Niko took my fork to put another large amount in my mouth, but I protested. "That is the most I've ever eaten in a single day," I whimpered.

"I feel sick being this full." Niko nodded his head with a sour expression and put the tray back on the dresser. "I know you are upset with me, but let me tell you that our friendship is true and I was not there to buy you or anyone else in that hell hole." I nodded silently while I continued to look in my lap. "The club was under an investigation for certain criminal activities and I noticed things not looking legit my first time being there. That first thing was you." Tears welled up into my eyes as he talked about our first-time meeting.

"The first time I saw you, Gwen. You were eating off leftovers in the back alley." I sobbed of how embarrassing it sounded. "I thought maybe you were homeless, but you walked back into the back entrance to the strip club and low and behold you worked there!" Niko threw his hands up. "In the line of work I'm in, I had to dig and find out more than just the human trafficking to save you. You won't understand now, but later you will." Niko handed me a few tissues as my body began to shake. He sat beside me and put me into a side hug.