Reunion

Top???

Bottom???

Author: dragonsareourfuture (on ao3)

stop this makes me sad : ' (

_________________

"WHERE? WHERE IS MY NIECE?"

"Jesus, Misa! Be careful!"

As soon as these voices were heard, Roger was sure that all peace and quiet for the day would be cast out the window. Even so, he put on a cheerful smile and exited the kitchen to greet yours and L's bittersweet friends who had just begun removing their shoes to place in the neat shoe rack in the foyer.

"Ah, Light Yagami and Misa Amane, glad you could make it," Roger began.

"Yes, it's nice to meet you. I apologize for the short notice, but L had mentioned that it was his daughter's birthday and we just had to attend," Light explained with a faux, closed-eyed grin as he lifted a bag decorated like a birthday present for further explanation.

Roger nodded curtly and took the present from Light, holding out a hand to direct the couple towards the kitchen where the festivities were to be held for that evening.

Misa perked up again when she laid eyes upon the infant being bounced on your knee, giggling absentmindedly.

"There she is!" The enthusiastic blond squealed, practically shoving her boyfriend of three years out of the way to kneel in front of the babbling child like she was a god.

You giggled at her antics and let her squish your baby's cheeks between her fingers. "Hi, Misa. It's been a while."

"I know! It has, hasn't it?" Misa cooed, words directed at you but using the high pitched voice one uses to speak to a child nonetheless.

Light ambled into the kitchen hesitantly, eyeing L, who was standing over you as you sat on a stool at the counter, his hand on your shoulder while the other one resided in his pocket. Light nodded politely, his features stiff and his shoulders tense as if waiting for L to provoke him at any second. L easily picked up on Light's careful movements and squared his shoulders, correcting his posture a bit though his dull expression never changed. Luckily, the tension was snapped when the front door opened once again and two college-age kids stepped into the cool interior of the fairly large home.

L seemed to relax more now that more people he was comfortable with began filing into the space. The pair in question — a lazily dressed brunet adorned with a cigarette and orange-tinted goggles as well as a leather clad blond with horribly melted flesh on the left side of his face and arm — came through the threshold and packed themselves into the already tight-fitting kitchen, bickering with each other all the while.

"Matt, just put it over there."

"No, I wanna give it to her now!"

"Be patient, asshat!"

"Hey, no language like that in front of the baby!"

"What? I said 'hat'."

You snapped your fingers to get the boys' attention and gestured for them to just hand you their present already. Matt happily stepped forward and handed you a crudely wrapped gift. Not to mention, they had used crumpled newspaper and a length of thread to tie the gift together. Matt shot you a sheepish smile and admitted, "We couldn't afford wrapping paper..."

"Aw, guys, this is more than enough! Thank you." You glanced down at your daughter and allowed her tiny yet strong fingers to curl around your own. "Can you say 'thank you', (daughter's name)?"