Control

Top ???

Bottom ???

Author: TheNobodyofaSOLDIER (on ao3)

______________

2:45 AM, and still, you couldn't shut your yes for a minute. Every time you tried to sleep, images flew through your mind; Kira, the Shinigami, L collapsing in Light's arms, the deaths of so many people right before her eyes, the names you had written yourself. Your heart raced violently and ached at every pulse. Any chance of rest was evaded tonight.

Who would be suffering because of these deaths? Was it really worth it? Is a new world even possible?

With another groan, you flipped over on your side, staring into the fire. Shadows danced across your body and the couch. Your [h/c] hair dangled in your face, and you tugged the wool blanket around your shoulders. What you would give for a moments peace, for a moment where your head wasn't a filter for so many terrible thoughts, you muscles weren't restless and your stomach upset. Would you ever sleep properly again?

Another image flashed through your mind; Light, staring down at you, whispering in your ear, telling you of his plans and hopes for the future, his hopes for the new world, his desires for you. Who knew that your dearest friend, Light Yagami, would turn out to be Kira, the same Kira you attempted to catch for such a long time, the one you secretly admired? You never would have-

"[Name]?" a soft voice snapped you from your trance. Your heart pounding, you jolted your head from the pillow.

"Who's there?" once you jumped to your feet and pulled out the knife your kept at your side, you sighed when you spotted Light, shutting the hotel door behind him. "Oh, it's just you. I'm sorry," you muttered, rubbing your eyes.

He smiled. "Vitayu."

Ukrainian. Students always joked about you both, as smart as you were, so for humor's sake, you'd pick a new greeting every day, keeping any watchers on their toes. It was stupid but it made you both laugh. Even as Kira, he still kept up your inside joke, greeting each other in random languages. Why? Sentimental value perhaps? A way to keep you on his line? You couldn't figure it out but it only hurt you more. "Konnichiwa," you replied, tossing your knife aside.

"Japanese again? You say that so often."

"I like Japanese," you smiled weakly. "It brings back pleasant memories."

His eyes softened ever so slightly.

"Is Ryuk still with Mikami?"

He nodded and casually placed his coat on the nearby rack. "Yes, everything has gone as I intended. Tomorrow, we will face Near, and I will win."

You nodded tiredly. "I'm glad. You worked hard for this, Kira."

Slowly, he approached you and held your shoulders gently but firmly. "We worked hard for this. Without your talent in reading people and your own brilliant mind, things might have turned out differently or taken much longer. You were a wonderful asset."

Asset? Was that all you were to him? "I'm glad, Light."

You turned away and stood in front of the fire place, watching intently at the red and orange licks. Your heart sank into your stomach. Would he let you survive? Did he want to rule as Kira alone? Were you under the influence of the Death Note right now? Did he not trust you enough to let you live?

He crept up behind you, took your shoulders again and pulled you close to his chest. Saying nothing, he gingerly placed his palm on the top of your arm, caressing it. You had seen this before with Misa and Kyomi Takada - one of them became his puppet, the other wound up dead.